1/4 scale Little Toot

A club member arived at our feild with a Biplane that realy caught my eye

He informed me that it was called a Little Toot built years ago from a plan

I like ti so much I just had to find out more about it, I came across a plan in a plans book Ihad had for a short time.

So I did a bit more recearch and found that there was a few plans in existance drawn by different people.

One well known lasser cutting company also listed laser cut parts for one of the avalible plans.Then I found another that could supply plans spats and a cowl an some parts pre cut.

It is now time to decide where to place my order

Bert

Advert

Bert, I will be interested to see what you decide to order, and what you make of the pre-cut part kits if you go down that route.  I'd guess the mouldings wouls actualy fit either/ all of the 1/4 scale Toots (three if you count the Pshaw Hawk as a separate model.
I have now found that Phil Kent sells his Toot variant plans directly, both the Toot and the Hawk now appearing to be the same plan BVMAC plans
It doesn't make it any easier to choose, just gives you an option of a bigger version.

Hi Bob

Ihave spoken to Phil Kent and he has said that the cowl supplied from my hobbyy is desighned to go wiyh dennis tapsfied toot but a guy he knows has fitted one to his 57" varriant.

I am still waighting to get any sence from my hobbys, most frustrating

Bert

Hi to all

After a good phone call today it looks likley that for £99.00 I would get plans. cowl. spats and a cone.and assortment of wood parts.

Waighting for suppler to open up a box and confirm

If this is the case I will order the lot as this would make the wood parts more attractive.

Bert

Hi Bob
Bad news today

Spoke to my hobbys today they got supplier to open a box and see what was inside

If you order the £99.00 toot parts you will get a cwol spats and a cone

No plan or wood

Its a rip off

The guy I spoke to agreed it was strange

So I have orded plan cowl spats seperatley and saved approx £50.00

How it can be justified is any one gues

I am sure there must be more to it than meets the eye

Bert

Edited By bert baker on 03/08/2010 15:21:00

That is a little strange Bert, I wonder if they ever actually sell any kits?
It would be interesting to know what the laser cutters such as SLEC would quote given a copy of the plan.  TBH, if the cowl is a plastic molding and not G/F, I think that is grossly overpriced as well.  Not impressed!

edit - look down to the left at 'product of the month' - 4 cowls and the canopy mouldings for the Halibag are £40, the CNC kit  £124 - they must have got their knickers in a twist over the toot pricing at £99 for the plastics alone.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/08/2010 15:52:40

Well I will find out in 7~10 day
And post some photos
Belair has offered to scan plan and cut parts no exact price but I would gues it would be around the£100.00 bracket.
He said he would only charge for lasser cutting time and wood.

My fellow club member was given some verry nice 2mm thick ally wing rib templates with his secondhand Toot .

Dont know what plan they were cut from, but I have had a go with them and made 6 ribs just for fun,

Thay work verry well so Its fingers crossed that they will suit the DT plan
bert

I have now decided to cut all my own parts

I started to trace parts but decided to photo copy and hot iron the copy direct onto the wood

As I havent been able to get to a photo copy machine yet,

I put the plan face down onto wood and had a go with iron,just to see what would happen,

It worked very well although it did shrink a little with the heat,but I can correct this during cutting. 

I am using various hand tools and machines to cut out parts

Electric fret saw
electric belt sander with side disc
razor saws
and pernagrit various pernagrit tools
and asortment of sand paper

Bert

go for it Bert!  There's something especially satisfying about building from a plan, starting from pristine balsa and ply sheets and ending up with a flying machine that you really have 'crafted' yourself. 
I think I'll be going for the Belair kit though, I tend to build in fits and starts so if I have to cut everything out from scratch it will end up another 10 year build.  

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 08/08/2010 18:58:53

Hi Bob
I was going to use the Belair kit but when I went to order the kit I was told that he had cut a kit for a customer and they reported back that the parts didn't fit and gave up on the build.

Having spoken to Belair about this it was the 65" version by Phil Kent,
They also cut parts for the 57" Philip Kent Toot,

They recomended that I got a D.Tapsfeild plan and sent it to them for scanning and cutting.

A parantly Belair don't supply plans, so what ever desighner you use you will need to get your own plans.

I have D.Tapsfeild plans.I am cutting the parts as an infill job at moment whilst I finish off rebuilding my thirty year old Tiger moth that I lost radio contact with and re-kitted itself, it was realy beyond repair but I just couln't put it in the bin,Upside is that it has given me the  reason to make alterations that I have put of for more years than I care to remember.

I would have prefered to have parts cut as it's the transfer of drawing to wood that put me off
Most of the shaping is with 1/8"~1/4" balsa,so not dificult to do with sander,and by ironing on the print to wood you get all the info on the wood the shrinkage is realy not worth bothering about.

Laser cut parts are only as good as the guy who scans in the plan, part of doing this is to put plan on computer and use it as a background and over draw with a cad program,

The probelm is a drawn pencil line is quite a lot wider than a cad line so your in the hands of the programer,

Dont get me wrong they are very good at their job but you might find some parts dont't quite fit

Anyway good luck on your build of a Toot

Bert
are you going to nationals

ps Belair are on holidays at moment

Edited By bert baker on 09/08/2010 09:35:45

Posted by bert baker on 09/08/2010 11:32:00:
Bob
I forgot to mention the precedent aeronca I started in 1995 it only needs fuz covering to finish and fitting out with radio and engine ect, it's funny how some planes take a back seat in workshops.
Bert
 I started my Jungmeister in the early '90s, maidened it last year, made the adjustments needed this spring and finally decided it's an overweight hangar queen this weekend.
It would be fine flown from a good runway, but our rough grass field with tiny take off strip is just going to shred it over time.  Time to move on.

• 10 months later...
Hi
I have now collected my Toot

She was previously powered by an old OS FS 90 four stroke the one with the timing gear at the back of the engine.

I have got one although old I only ran it for the first time early this year and it still needs to be run in.

My intention was to put a Laser 120 in her the only thing that has put me of at the moment is that the Laser is to long.

So I think I will put the OS 90 in for the time being as I know she flew very well although a bit more power would be handy.

She is probably about twenty years old and it shows in her condition she is in need of a recover and tidy up.

I think I will fly her for a while and then strip her out for repairs and recover and get the Laser to fit.

Bert

Bert,

I fitted an Asp 91 fs when I first built the model and all I can say is it was just adequate so I now have OS 120 fs fitted and awaiting test flight,

With the 120 being longer I had to cut a hole in the firewall to allow the engine to sit further back on the mount and keep the same spacing for the cowl.

Jim

Hi after a bit of shed time

I have found the old OS FS 90 is a straight forward fit

My T/Tigre 91 fs slightly to long because carb fowls the engine mount screw

Laser 120 to long

Saito 130 twin just about fits ( but not sure about the actual power output as instruction say it has same power as a 60 two stroke

I think it will be the Laser in the end

Bert

• 2 months later...