Lipo voltage

I confess to being a tad confused when it comes to the labelling of lipos. I know that a 2S pack is 7.4 volts and a 3S pack is 11.1v, but what about a 3S1P pack? Surely the 1 cell wired in parallel (which I believe this means) still gives a voltage of 11.1? Or is this a 14.8v pack? Help!

Advert

Tony...have you read THIS

Heres an extract.

"Another of the great things about them is that we can happily join identical cells together in either series or parallel, or indeed a combination of the two, whereas this practice is not recommended for the older type of nickel based cells.
This combining of cells in various configurations is where the pack designations come into play. If a 4-cell 2100mAh Li-Po battery is connected in Parallel to another identical battery this results in 4 cells in Series, and 2 batteries in Parallel, or, in other words 4S 2P. The nominal voltage remains the same as one battery, which in this case (4 cells @ 3.7V each) would be 14.8V. However the capacity is doubled and this newly formed 4s 2p battery now  boasts 4200 mAh capacity. To increase the volts, we join in Series, to increase the capacity, we join in Parallel. Combining both increases both."

There is also full explanation of S and P configurations in the July 2010 magazine.