Thinking of building a Harmony

Hi All,

I hope  I am posting this in the right section, I am looking for a bit of advice regarding the Harmony.

In the past I have built and flown many different types of model, including things like the Gangster, Acro Wot and various scale models. I am not short of flying experience... however, I have not flown anything at all for about 10 years now!

Recently I saw the Harmony on the front of RCM&E, so bought it in order to get the plan (to my eyes it is a very pretty plane!). So finally onto my question, in peoples opinion would the Harmony be suitable for someone returning to the hobby after a break?

Thanks for any advice and thoughts.

Dan.

Advert

Hello Dan and welcome aboard
Im sure Peter himself will be  along shortly to advise - I doubt the harmony is difficult to fly, but perhaps some stick time on a bouncy type trainer model first would be a good idea just until you get the feel for it back. Best of luck and let us know how it goes

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response. I guess that was really the question how easy is the Harmony to fly? I don't necessarily want to build a basic trainer type model as I fear I may be bored with it after a few flights, but I also don't want to overestimate my own ability!

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to be so long. I forgot to check threads on this section of the forum.

Harmony on the lower powered engine that I am using is very nice but if you plan to use a .25 it will be much faster and it does get very small very quickly with the resulting problems of orientation in the distance.

A fairly fast and aerobatic low wing trainer would be good if you are very rusty. Having siad that, one doesn't really forget, one just needs to get ones reflaxes back in training.

• 1 month later...
The idea of building an electric powered harmony seems good to me! I eventually bought an eRC mustang to "test" my flying ability, seemed alright so I got a parkzone spitfire which flies nicely (and I now know I can remember how to fly!). I stil lhave the harmony plan and some balsa ready to begin though so I reckon I wil start building it soon. I can't join my local club until next year though as they are not taking any new members at the moment, so perhaps it will be my first IC model to fly there!

• 1 month later...
I ran across the Peter Miller plans this summer while traveling in the RCM&E magazine.  I was very impressed - nice design and write-up Peter.  I started out on the wings about September time frame - hope to have it airborne early next spring.  At the speed I build (depends on available time) I may have the wings done mid December.  

I'm also planning an electric conversion - 600w w/ 3-4 lipo bat.  Anyone have experience with this conversion?  If so, what was the final weight / wing loading?

Dan - did you decide to build the Harmony and have you started it yet?

Peter

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 04/11/2010 19:12:21:
I would have thought 500 Watt would be sufficient, and then you could just about get away with a 3s battery which would help keep the overall weight down. I believe the original flew just fine on a .25 -  therefore 500 watts is about right.
Welcome to the forum BTW

Good advice - I was leaning towards the high side on power as I'm not sure what the final weight will be.  I've modified the aileron design to include two servos, allowing me to have flaperon control - thus the extended build period.  I've been successful with this type of modification in the past, but it does add a little weight.  In addition, there will be added weight for the battery.

Question:  I don't see on the plan any allowance for engine offset for torque.  Would anyone recommend I take this into consideration?

Peter

Peter -

I bounced around the web yesterday and learned a lot.  Now I know why flaps are on the inside of the wing and separate from the ailerons.  

I see you have several books out.  One titled  "Designing Model Aircraft" may be the ticket.  I'll be adding it to my Christmas list.

Thanks again for your advice...

Peter

Right, well done.

Now to the exceptions.

You will find that STOL aircraft will have parallel chord wings. there are far less liable to tip stall. They will have big flaps/

Quite often such aircraft will droop the ailerons a little. The point is that the flaps come down a long way but the ailerons only a little. This gives the same effect as washout.