What covering should I use?

Hi,
I am about to embark on a small 40" span electric aerobatic (I hope)
design. But on a recent electric build, I felt let down on the covering which for a light balsa construction seemed to be like covering it with a tarpaulin!
My IC designs seem fine with basic Solarfilm but I am after something lighter.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Richard.

Advert

How about Solarfilm Litespan. You cover with the aid of Balsalock adhesive and an iron in the same way as Solarfilm

. It has the advantage that it can be doped to make it slightly tighter.

For a glossy finish a little heavier you could use Solarilm Fibafilm. Similar to Litespan but glossy and quite a lot stronger. You need to use that with balsaloc as well and it pays to sandpaper off the gloss where one layer is stuck down over the previous one.

Edited By Peter Miller on 24/08/2010 09:11:03

paint on litespan is going to put weight back on for a lot of trouble.

go with transparent solarfilms - they are lighter than solid colours and just as easy to put on

john

Richard,

red is best - the model visibility cannot be beat - and the red colour shows all the way up as high as you want.

Similarly with antique ( vintage ?) red solartex which is not as opaque as the solid red.

John

Are, but what about inverted John? I have a 60" sports model with big parallel wings and that was a curse first of all until I added some stripes to the underside.
That model is in transparent yellow (Antique?) maybe I could try yellow top and red underside?

Thanks for your suggestion John your idea is what I will go with.
Richard.

I had stripes on a goldberg super chipmunk until it rolled over into the ground when a strip came off and blanked an aileron - not enough heat applied sticking one film ontop of another.  .