JR nes591 servo's

nasa_steve

Thanks for your reply Martin.

Yes, I've been very thorough with the linkages throughout, the servos even do it when out of the model. Just seems odd as I've always thought a buzzing servo was one to avoid in the past, Futaba and Hitec all seemed to have been silent.

The models ready to maiden now so fingers crossed for me..!

Cheers.

P.S  Sorry Peter, I'm not the one to give you a definitive answer to your query, but I would have thought your capacity of battery would be adequate for practically every modelling receiver/servo pack.

My 1500mAh Nicad pack seems to run my 8 x 591's for a couple of hours on the ground messing about with all channels. Loads are a little more in the airflow though. Good luck.

David

Advert

Hi Peter,

The 4100mah is plenty!! I have a 1 x 3700mah on a CAP-X running 6 x 5945 Hitecs, never had any problems. Good choice on Sub C's too.

D

PS: i just picked up on the battery backer issue. I have always used powerboxes, specifically the expert, which is designed for 2 x Nimh or Nicad. This thing gives you a battery backer, clean supply to the receiver, drives large servo's over long leads, provides a battery status, gives you the lowest voltage seen during a flight..etc etc...

You can get them for about £105 + switches, which are about £45. Just bear in mind that you will need multiplex connectors on your batteries...see attached pic of one of mine in my ef yak.

Dave,

Thanks very much - this is helpful - whose make is the battery backer? D'you have a favourite source? Are the multiplex connectors easy to fit? You use Hi tec servos I use Futaba or JR - are there any wiring incompatatibilies which would cause problems with the box?

Sub C - nasa_steve suggested them. Thanks for the endorsement.

That's a great help. I'm sure RCM&E could do an interesting article on the subject of in flight Rx batteries, servo voltages etc - guidance could be helpful for people moving up in size of model.

Many thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

You can get the Powerbox's from Als or Motor and rotors. As for the batteries, you can get the multiplex connectors and solder them on your battery of choice, most hobby shops carry just the connectors.

I get my batteries from gliders in Nottingham, they will put the connectors on for you. The powerbox power switches (they are known as powerswitch set) have a built in charge socket , you can put 2A max through the switch for charging purposes, but the switches are rated at 20A throughput to the powerbox!!  I really like this system....super bulletproof..

The powerbox designed esp for NIMH or nicads is the 'expert', the evolution is for Lipo's or NIMH and has a built in regulator, the switch with the evolution does not have a charge point, so if you go for that, you will need an extra set of 'fly' leads on the battery to charge through. But if you will only ever use NIMH or Nicads, stick with the expert. It also handles 4 cell batteries as well as 5 cell, you just change a 'jumper' on the side of the main unit, depending on what your cell count is...its real simple!!

http://www.alshobbies.com/shop/cat.php?id=189&Desc=&PHPSESSID=f66ed16205a4b0410264358cf693d652

As for servo's I used futaba for many years, but i find hitec better for larger models, i use the 5985's (13Kg) or the 5955 (24Kg).

Generally the 5985's are for all surfaces except rudder, where i use a 5955, all running at 6v off 2x NimH's through a powerbox. You could use one battery with no redundancy if you like.

Unless your doing hard 3d on a large petrol model, the 5985's are great!

One word of warning though, the 5955's are very difficult to get hold of...i get all of mine through an american website, which offers fantastic service, its called troybuiltmodels, they are cheap, always have stock..but beaware you may have to pay import tax...which still makes it cheaper than buying over here!!

These guys are doing 5955's at 90$! which is way below the $140 you should pay over here.... i now use these on all my surfaces because at this price you can afford to.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ServosHitec.htm#HS5955

Sods law...looks like they have put there prices up a little...but still worth a look! 

Any more questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Happy landings...

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding JR servo's and the correct voltages Dave Wilshire of Motors and Rotors gave a full account of the reasons for McGregors recommendations to only use 4.8 volts in one of the Mags must have been RCMW or I am sure David would have high lighted it.His answer was that the servo's can be used at 6 volts but only through a regulated power supply as a freshly charged 5 cell pack can and probably will be charged in excess of 6 volts which can cause a failure in these servos.If I can find the article I will post it verbatim.         Jim.

• 10 years later...

Hi,

Just been browsing the Macgregor website, and came across this statement, on the supply voltage question.

JR Servos and 4.8v

JR design their range of servos around the voltage of a 4 cell Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh battery. These batteries are rated at 4.8v but this is a nominal voltage for the battery pack. A 4 cell battery will reach slightly over 6v when fully charged.

With modern Li-Po and Li-Fe batteries being widely used, regulated power supplies are becoming common place in model aircraft to help keep the weight down, keep a stable voltage and to aid in high power situations on large aircraft with high power servos. The use of a regulated power supply up to 6v is fine to use.

However using a 5 cell Ni-Mh battery which is rated at 6v is not ok to use, this battery will reach over 7v when fully charged and may damage the servo. If you are looking to use this type of battery we would recommend the HV, WV or NX range of JR servos which can handle this extra voltage.