Automotive two-pack paint.

I have an old Precedent T240 which is starting to look a bit shabby. It is covered in painted nylon. I also have access to a compressor, masks, thinners and automotive paints and have repainted several classic cars..

I am thinking about repainting the T240 in two-pack.

Does anyone have any experience of painting models in two-pack and is it proof against 10% nitro glow fuel?

Advert

Posted by David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 23/09/2010 05:50:19:

Does anyone have any experience of painting models in two-pack and is it proof against 10% nitro glow fuel?

Hello David, in answer to your query, over the last fifteen years or so, myself and my flying mates have painted all our models in two-pack paint,which incidentally is also known as 2-k paint. With the correct preparation,i.e. good primer well rubbed down, It gives a superb finish which is proof against almost any fuel,it can even be cleaned down with cellulose thinners! the primer can be ordinary cellolose dope, sanding sealer, grey primer, or 2-k primer, it's ok over them all. The one major snag,and it is a major snag, is that it is deadly stuff. the fumes are carcyagenic,ant this paint should only be used with a full air-fed spray mask. I have used it out of doors with a proper 2k filter mask, but it is not really to be recommended. So in answer to your question, yes it is proof against 10% fuel,it is superb paint,but be very careful whilst spraying it..................Mal.

I have friends in the trade and a good quality mask, I'll admit it's not air-fed though.

You lads have given me pause for thought, but rather than strip the lot and recover with Glosstex, I've heard that you can spray vinyl emulsion paint mixed with windscreen washer fluid.

Any body got any experience of doing this?