Peter Miller Books - Designing Model Aircraft

Tony H

Hi,

Peter please could you tell me a little bit more about your two books "Designing Model Aircraft" and "High Flying on a Low Budget". Does the designing book take you through the whole process for an IC or Electric planes like the Harmony and the like? I only ask as the plane on the front cover looks a bit like a very old rubber band free flyer type.

Regards

Tony

Advert

The cover shot is an R/C Co2 powered model. It was small enough to pose in front of a large aerial photo that I had.

Yes, the design book takes you through from drawing tools to writing up the article for a magazine. IT covers aerodym=namic and structural design from basic boxes to fully streamlined fuselages etc.

Nothing on electric power but the basics are the same.

High Flying covers doing everything on the cheap, making instead of buying, cheap materials, buying second hand engines and radio.

Thanks Peter, I think I will probably buy all of your books  "Designing Model Aircraft", High Flying on a Low Budget" and " The Aeromodeller's Book of Essential Tips and Techniques 1&2"

I think what you have done is what the hobby is all about not a quick ARFT, It was good to see your visions of the future in RCM&E 50th Anniversary.

Good luck with future desgns for the magazine

Regards

Tony

Don't forget that I started back when the complete range of accessories filled two small pages in the KK handbook.

We used to have a problem and the instinctive thought was "What can I use for that?" The corollary was when we walked round Woolworths and saw something the mind instanty said "What can I use that for?"

For example metal hair curlers made superb Spandau machine guns.

Talking of ARTFs. I have just designed one of my sport scale racers. It was an urgent request for a plans catalogue. From putting pencil to paper andincluding  two days to wait for the weather It was test flown three weeks to the day later. Who needs ARTFs???

NEVER AGAIN. No fun.