Security on the road.

You might be aware of this already, but the Police are giving out the following warnings locally.

If you see a child seat, possibly with a doll in it,  apparently abandoned at the side of the road, (usually in a wooded area) do not stop and investigate it. Carry on and inform the Police when it is safe to do so.

Gangs are using this as a ploy to cause drivers to stop particularly targeting women, they will then attack the driver/occupants rob them (or worse) and steal the vehicle.

Also if eggs are thrown at your car do not stop and do not operate the windscreen wipers, as the smeared egg will obstruct your view and you will be forced to stop.
Criminals are stooping lower and lower to achieve their aims.
Please pass this on.

Richard,
            That is very useful information, something to bear in mind.
   Very recently I was reading a Police Notice on the counter of a local shop, along similar lines.

Your car is in a car park. You come back to it and you jump in and reverse out. Whilst doing so you notice a large piece of paper stuck on the back window. You stop and jump out to take it off. The door is open and the engine’s running. As you go round the back you are attacked and thrown to the floor, someone else jumps in the driving seat, your attacker also jumps in and the car is driven off, probably never to be be seen again.
   At the moment it seems as though this is mainly happening in the Manchester, Leeds area, North of England, but the notice did say that the police believe it will spread everywhere.

I guess there will be no end to the amount of tricks the thieves and vandals will dream up next.            PB

Posted by Geoff N on 30/09/2010 15:02:55:
Please see

Gang Initiation Warning Hoax - Infant Car Seat Left On Roadside

Outline
Warning message claims that criminals in the UK are placing infant car seats containing fake babies on the sides of rural roads as a means of tricking potential victims into stopping their cars so that gang members can rape and rob them as part of a gang initiation.

Brief Analysis
The supposed warning has no basis in fact and should not be forwarded. It is not an official police warning as suggested in the message. This supposed police warning is nothing more than a UK variant of a hoax message that has previously circulated in the United States, Canada and elsewhere.

When visiting family in a northern-ish town I was warned about driving round a particularly rundown area. Eastern Europeans were targetting slow moving cars on a housing estate. They were deliberately stepping in front of them, allowing themselves to be hit with no significant injury, then going for a claim on your insurance. 

This was passed to me by a reliable friend. She said it was as a result of a crimewatch meeting.

Perhaps it is just a 'Rural/urban hoax' but even so they are quite possible scenarios, unlike some fourth hand stories that have been passed around, so I offer no apologies for mentioning it.

Bit of a double edged sword - the more you circulate it the more likely some low-life is to copy it - but the better warned people are...

I must say that I never pass these things on for the first reason.  When I first saw this one there were enough americanisms in it to realise that it was unlikely to have originated here.