PSS event -Gt Orme

Well... What a great turnout! There had to be 40+ models on the south facing slope, despite the long slog from the Tank Track car park. The big theme for the day was a Battle of Britain 'Tribute to the Few' with a poignant flypast of several Spitfires & a single Bf-109 during an alloted BoB slot in the flying. Photos of the amazing display of models will follow soon.

Advert

Yup...great turn out - especially considering the slope was bit of a hike from the cars.
I think most things managed to fly at some point during the very changeablee day - lift varied a lot, suddenly dropping off to almost nil, then late afternoon we enjoyed very strong wind and great lift right up to the end at around 6.30 PM or so.
Looking forward to some pictures from the camera sharpshooters amongst us - meanwhile here is a few from my box brownie.

All pictures will display correctly if clicked.

Hopefully the weather will play ball again tomorrow for more fun
The story of Marty's Mustang is in another thread - "rubber band man"

Phil Cooke's lovely refurbished T33

Keiths original T33 shooting star "Thunderbirds" scheme.

Local lad Steve Howarth with his superb U2

Relax and enjoy - not everything was strictly PSS

Matt Jones luvvverly F18, + mossy, and lander panther etc ( well done Matt )

And his superb Vulcan which rounded off the days flying in great style.

Rez Manzoori's passengers had a little bit of a bumpy arrival at Llandudno international airport.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 02/10/2010 21:34:43

Hi All,

A quick update on my A380's 'bumpy arrival at Llandudno international airport.'

The model has been checked out and the problem was the battery had simply run out of juice... which would go some way to explain the very sluggish handling at the end of the flight and why it simply wasn't responding to the controls. 

A couple of lessons learnt I'd like to share with you all to hopefully avoid anyone else experiencing this issue:

1. Buy a big receiver battery... they're relatively cheap, a large capacity battery can't hurt!
2. Cycle your batteries a couple of times after extended periods of storage. Clearly my single cycling of the battery was insufficient.

In-flight videos to follow shortly... votes please... leave the impact in or not? 

Rez

looking forward to your edits of the inflight vids Rez - are you going to do a Hawk vid and an A380 vid or is it going to be a single product??  Hawk air to air tailchase shots are bound to impress the boys on here Im sure!!!

I say leave the 'landing' in - In a few weeks time you'll be grinning about this I promise!!

And good lessons learnt BTW.

Yup, I vote to leave the arrival in. Look forward to the vids Rez.
Incidentally, I pretty much abandoned NiCd cells as soon as the PC brigade outlawed 'em in favour of those lousy NiMh - even worse performance in the cold than NiCds.
Almost every one of my models now uses lipo radio power.
A two cell 1800 m/a pack will fly most slopers for hours and hours - fed via a simple and cheap regulator. They are always "ready" to go, hold voltage very well under load, and can be fast charged if required.
I know there are alternatives of course - but I just find the whole charging and maintenance procedure so much simpler than nickel based stuff.
No black wire disease either
I also have a few models now utilizing the smaller 1100m/a LiFeA123 cells as radio supply - these are hard case cells ( ideal for "arrivals" on the Orme )  and with most servos they do not require a regulator.
Sorry off topic.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 03/10/2010 18:18:19

Well after a journey to a windless and rainy LLandudno on today, we spent some time on the pier and in the arcades and won lots of prizes!!  

Anyway, thought I'd have a go at "photoshopping" a few of the pics from Saturday!!

Here are the results!!..

Only the 2 but I think they were the best pics I got!!

See you all next year with hopefully another addition to the Hawk Sqn!!

Dave

nice shot of the 3 Spitfires Simon!!!  not much we could do about the weather today - at least we all had  a good days flying on the Saturday!  We stood around in the light Northerly wind and the rain for about 30 minutes after you left the car park before we came to our senses and left for home.

roll on the next one!!  See you all there.