V Struts on the Senior Telemaster

David Davis

I am about to make up the V struts on my Barn Door Wing Senior Telemaster, i.e, two spruce struts mounted at the wing combining together at a single mounting point at the fuselage.

My query is as follows:

Should I,

(a) make up each strut of equal length thus producing an isosceles triangle in plan and attach the V strut to a point on the fuselage halfway between the wing mounting points?

or

(b) arrange the front strut so that is is parallel to the wing spars and bring the rear strut forward to meet it? This arrangement would produce a right angled triangle in plan and result in having the fuselage attachment point further forward than the isosceles configuration suggested above.

• 3 months later...
Advert

I think it would depend on why you are putting them their. Are they just for rigidity? Are they to protect the wing mounting in the event of wing tip contact with the ground? Or do you intend them to transmit any of the lift?

If the first - I don't think it matters very much - the presence of the triangle brace will add rigidity - however it is arranged.

If the second - I would agree with Tony's assessment.

If the third - the centre of lift will lie about 25% back from the leading edge - all of the lift force can be considered to act about this point. IN that case the arrangement you came up with (i.e. plan B) would probably be best.

The real truth is of course - it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference - unless the strut strength is marginal, which it probably isn't.

BEB