Miss Lizzy build Article

Nev

Hi chaps,
Richard,as you know mine has a clapped out Irvine 61 and she still goes very well,A 90fs will be magic.

Mine scaled up 28% gives a wing chord of 12 1/4 "

Andy,

Did you get the ASP 75 ? and wot have you done to the fuz to start all over again ???

This is mine during construction along with Peters scaled up Cap 21.
Jim

Hi Jim, yes just got the .75 will e-mail you measurements, now the bad bit!!!!! i think that one side on the fuss was a touch harder then the other, so when joined the back part with the formers 6,7, and 8, when dried one side is straight the other side is warpped, ive tried to sort it but still one side straight, one a bit warpped, so im going to start again.

Andy

• 6 months later...
Did I mention I was a slow builder, It’s not so much the building but getting the time to do it. Anyway a few pictures of progress so far.

Its actually further on than it looks as the undercarriage wires are bent and the mounts sorted, also the snake outers and servo, RX mounts are all in.

Edited By Nev on 30/09/2011 20:09:49

Thanks. Yes I thought about self tapers but I only user 1/16th sheet and so not much wood to screw into, I’ll have to put little blocks underneath. Actually I am going to use some old plastic packaging for the windshield and this doesn’t seen to fog with CA, when I experimented, thin CA also soaks in the wood making quite a strong joint so maybe I’ll use a combination of both.

The workbench only looks like that for the photos Peter, the rest of the time it’s like everybody else’s.

• 3 months later...
Well here we are just before the maiden this afternoon.

Didn’t look quite so pretty afterwards, bit of a hurried landing resulting in a nose dive in from the last few yards. No real damage just a cracked cowl and an AWOL pilot. Probably due to me trying come in a bit on the slow side.
I found it a bit sensitive in the roll and a bit sluggish in pitch but again could just be me being a bit cautious, I did knock off some of the elevator movement on dual rates. All in all enjoyed the first flight, apart from the last second obviously. Will probably wait for sunny days and short grass for the next one though.

Thanks Jim but I figured something out, although not quite as engineered as yours.
I used some of that hard plastic packaging, PET I think it is, this was about 0.5mm thick. If you score the surface VERY lightly and bend it over an edge you get a crisp corner. Both canopy glue and cyno stick to it well without fogging. I left tabs on the side windows folded underneath for some gluing area. The whole thing is quite rigid so does not need a frame so mine is simply masking tape painted white and cut into strips

• 3 weeks later...