Proposed "want one"

BIll Corbin

• 8 months later...
Advert

• 2 months later...

I have the VMAR bulldog. I have the Swedish livery one coz the RAF livery was sold out. It is a nice plane but a couple of things I wasnt too happy about. The pushrod connectors supplied in the kit are, I reckon, not very good quality. They seem to be a cheap metal alloy and i reckon over time the metal screws supplied will strip the thread in the connector. I replaced them just ot be on the safe side.  You can't get at the pilot and if there's one thing I hate about the supplied pilot its the shiny diamonty looking belt buckle on his belt. I know the Swedish are pretty  laid back and everything but camp as well?!

Besides that the plane flies very nicely. I fitted a 46 size engine that I think is slightly under powered but she still goes okay.

• 2 weeks later...

I´d have to agree about the pilot.

I worked long and hard to try and find a way to open up the cockpit area.. my girlfriend was even prepared to make him new clothes as the RAF dont have blue jumpsuits but green... and yes the studded belt was a little ...... camp. however the cockpit is glue into place with the canopy closing it over, and underneath the servo tray blocks its removal.

I am having problems that the supplied pushrods are extremely sticky and am thinking of changing to goldenrods as I have used them MANY times with great success.

My only other complaint is that the pilot is FAR too far farward inside the cockpit in terms of scale.
He is placed with his seat infront of the canopy opening, and so would never be able to leave the plane!!!
I understand that this is due to the servo tray placement inside the fusolage, but it really stands out to me.

First flight to be this weekend...

• 2 weeks later...
  I'm afraid to announce that my Bulldog has gone to that model flying club in the sky. Decided on Sunday, having nothing to do, to take her up for a quick spin. Anyway the wing was dipping as I took off and just assumed it was a bit of cross wind. It was only once I had turned into the wind that I realised it wasn't the cross wind. She was constantly trying to bank left and it took nearly full right aeleron to keep her level. I was trying to bring her round using gentle rudder, when all of a sudden she just tipped over and went straight in. I spent about five mins cursing and swearing as I walked over to the model, sorry, remains. Well she went in nose first and the the only undamaged area was from behind the canopy back. Having looked at the wing I found one of the aelerons push rods was disconnected. Don't know if this was on impact though. I do know how to get the pilot out of the canopy though, however, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone else.

I picked up a Chiltern Models (Plan dated 1987 designed & drawn by John Gamlen) semi kit from a car boot at the Rufforth LMA show last year and I am at present building it for electric flight.. It has a 54" span foam / obeche wing, ply / balsa crutch build with obeche skinned foam decks and a very nice Glassfibre cowling and an excellent canopy.  I intend to power it with a Towerpro 35 or possibly E-Flight 46  with 3 or 4 cell Li-Polys. Doing one or two mods, ie aileron servos in each wing instead of a central servo using Bowden cables, and using a closed loop for the rudder.  I have hollowed out the front of the foam rear turtle deck to accomodate the rear cabin and lined it with 3mm white depron and fitted windows instead of painting them on.  I live very close to Prestwick where the Bulldogs were built, and  have admired them over many years, beautiful aircraft ! If anybody is interested, I will keep them posted on progress over the winter!

• 2 months later...