Detailing the Bloody Mary

Barry Boughton

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

hi DAVID

JUST STARTED TO BUILD BLOODY MARY HAVING PROBLEMS WITH WORKING OUT HOW 

THE EXHAUST SYSTEM WORKS . HAVE YOU DETAILED IT ON THE NEXT SET OF PLANS ,HAVE CHANGED   THE LANDING GEAR THE WAY IT WORKS WILL USE SUSPENSION UNITS OF MY OLD SUBARU  AND GHANGE THE DESING.WILL LET YOU NOW IF IT WORKS.

dear david

have been studing the magazine and the plans have sudenly realized how you gone about making it must be my age .getting on a bit 62 or there abouts did you run the exhaust out of bouth sides would sound nice if you did .have a look down the local diy store for the bits and pieces have been cutting out all the formers , managed to get some foam board frome my local art shop , 700x 400 aprox size cost me £4.70p .I thougth very resnable . must get back to the work shop ak the shed , looks a nice model when finished hope the younger generation will have a go at it

james

HI DAVE IS THERE ANY ONE ELSE OUT THERE BUILDING THIS LOVELY OLD AIROPLANE BESIDES MY SELF . I HAVE FOUND ONE OR TWO THINGS THAT DONT MATCH BUT HAVE OVER COME THE PROBLEMS ,AS US MODELERS DO . HAVE BEEN MODELING ON AND OF FOR NEARLY FIFTY YEARS NOW .STILL LEARNING CAN WAIT FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE PLANES TO OUT . WY COUDENT YOU PUT BOTH HALFS OF THE PLANES TOGETHER LIKE DID WITH THE TYPHOON .DRIVING ME MAD WAITING ,BY THE WAY ANY BODY OUT THINKING OF BUILDING THIS MODEL NEEDS EXPERIENCE ? MUST GO SHE HOW MUST BE OBADE IS CALLING LOTS LUCK EVERY BODY WITH THE BALSA BASHING CATCH YOU ANONE.. JAMES

• 2 weeks later...
HI DAVID COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU MADE THE EXHAUST PIPES OUT OF I GOT SOME COPPER PIPE ABOUT 30 CM LONG,IT IS A BENDABLE PIECE OF WHICH I CUT INTO TWO PIECES OF EQUALE LENTH GOING TO TAKE IT DOWN BOTH SIDES UNDER THE WINGS, SO THAT THE EXHAUST WILL NOT MAKE A MESS OF THE FUZZ HOPEFULLY.WHAT DID YOU USE FOR HOLDING EVERY THING TO GETHER, U TALKED ABOUT COLD SOLDER. NEVER HERD OF IT LOOKED FOR IT BUT CANNOT GET IN MY LOCAL DIY SHOP JAMES (TOSH)

hi kevin I to have been waiting for the plans this month, they are printed on the back the planes for the foker .will have to wait till next month for the rest of the planes ,are you building this model and how far have you got with it . james poole (tosh)

Hi David,

Shame we did not get the wing drawing in this months mag. anyway I am starting to get materials and parts together for winter build of Bloody Mary. I am considering a RCV 91 as power, wonder what your thoughts are on this as a power plant for Mary. I am also unsure how you mounted the engine and as to the centre line of the crankshaft. I fancy an all siver with blue trim scheme, Imperial Airways?

Regards and thanks for a very interesting aircraft,

Ian.    

Hi Tosh,

Thank you for your reply regarding where to find the plans and I look forward to the rest in December.  I haven't started yet as I am just gathering everything I need first and I am also fairly new to the hobby thus taking my time.   I was toying with the idea of using 15mm flexible copper plumbing pipe for the exhaust and a 'T' piece so it exhausts from both sides.  It is readily available in most DIY stores or do you consider it too heavy?

Regards

Kev.

HI KEVIN I GOT MY COPPER EXHAUST PLUMING FROM WILKINSONS GOT THE T PEICES ELBOWS AND 30 CENTIMETER PIPE FLEXIBLE CUT IN HALF TO MAKE BOTH SIDES 15 CM AND BEND AT 45 DEG I AM GOING TO TAKE THE EXH DOWN UNDER THE WINGS SO THAT THE EXH RESIDUE CLEARES THE FUZZ NOT SO MESSY .THE TOTAL COST OF ALL THE PLUMING COST ABOUT £6.45p HAVE GOT ABOUT TWO THEARDS OF THE WAY THROUGH MAKING THE FUZZ, I DONT THINK IT WILL BE TO HEAVY CONSIDERING THE WAITE OF THE MODEL WAS THINKING OF PUTTING A 72 FOURSTROKE IN IT IT WILL MEAN ALTERING THE EXHAUST ???might just stick WITH THE 2STROKE. TRYING TO UPLOAD SOME PHOTOS , BUT HAVE NOT YET MANAGED TO DO SO GOOD LUKE WITH THE BUILD HAVE FUN DOING MINE REGARDS TOSH

HI KEVI Just to let you no have been into the workshop ,and have weigh all components ect copper peices and the weight i got was . 6 ounces or 190 grams .going to have look around to see if i can find some aluminium parts to see if i can make it lighter in weight let you now if i find some thing, scalpel and sandpaper awaite??? TOSH

Hi there,

I bought the first time RCM&E in a shop in Munich, because I have seen the plan of the Bloody Mary..... probably I'm the one German who build this nice plane.  I immediately subscribe for one Year RCM&E.

I want to convert this plan to electric with lipos.  So I have to change something.

I started to build it and I'm waiting of the next plan. Are the wings in the NOV 07 issue?? I didn't understand it in the previous posts of this thread.

Regards from Germany.

Rolf  

PS: sorry for my English...but I will do my best. 

I would appreciate any tips for cutting louvers in engine cowlings on the Bloody Mary, (the auther asked this in Nov' issue),    There must be some old "tin bashers"out there,

heres hoping,  Steve