3 bladed prop

r6dan

I have a 14x6 for my P51 Miss America  (which hopefully will be ready to fly soon) but really she needs a nice 4 bladed wooden jobbie,so can anyone piont me in the right direction of a conversion chart type thing and the best place to get one from?
I have looked online but there seems to be a lot of conflicting info on conversions and the like.
Cheers me dears. Dan. 

Edited By r6Dan on 10/11/2010 22:26:44

Oh and the title should be 4 bladed not 3,DOH! 

Edited By r6Dan on 10/11/2010 22:27:29

Advert

Stick with a 2 blade prop for flying.  It will be far more efficient.  The reason for 4 (and other multi-blade versions) on the full size was purely to transmit the available power while maintaining some ground clearance.  If you consider it, the closer the next blade is to the preceding one, the more turbulent the air is around it - hence the fall in efficiency as the blade thrashes around in the turbulence.

A 2 bladed prop is the usual compromise over the theoretically better single blade with a counterweight for balance - as used in some control line speed applications.  By all means make a nice scale prop for display purposes...

Remember that the diameter of a suitable 4 blader will be even less than the much smaller than scale 2 blader unless you're running a geared output (or perish the thought, a low KV *l*ctr*c motor) so there's little realism value in having one.

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/11/2010 22:57:28

Thanks Martin,that all seems to make sense,I was just wanting one for realism,I think I will do as you suggested keep a 2 blade one