Well the UMX beast arrived in its BNF glory, but sans manual.

I tested the battery in the position shown in various videos but felt it to be stodgy and nose heavy. 

A little Googling suggested that the CoG should be 18mm from the leading edge.

In my case that meant placing the battery well down inside the fuselage.

This improved the performance but not to the level of the 4-Site.  In particular the UMX beast seems prone to tip stalling.  I'm using a DX7SE with 30 expo on everything.

Outside with room to move the UMX Beast seems much nicer. It runs a 7.4V 120mA battery so its lively.  It'll fly a 1/4 throttle but I have to be careful with tight turns otherwise it'll drop a wing.

I'll experiment some more and report back.

Andy

Advert

I really don't get this model, it looks too fast for indoor, but pathetically small for outdoor. It almost feels like a step back to the original BNF sukhoi from the 4-site which is a truly superb for indoor. I can see a lot of these broken indoors over the coming season where people who prefer the look of a 3D fuselage get one and then find it less suitable for indoor flying

• 2 months later...
Only just picked up this thread whilst surfing. Manuals for the Horizon brands can usually be had as downloadable PDF files on their website. If its not on the Uk site then it is often on the US site. I was able to download the Spektrum DX8 manuals from the US site before the first sets landed in the UK.

or here

Alan - please read this thread Thanks BEB

Edited By Alan Randall on 28/01/2011 16:55:16

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/05/2011 11:58:12

Posted by Jonathan Lewzey on 26/11/2010 10:32:40:
I really don't get this model, it looks too fast for indoor, but pathetically small for outdoor. It almost feels like a step back to the original BNF sukhoi from the 4-site which is a truly superb for indoor. I can see a lot of these broken indoors over the coming season where people who prefer the look of a 3D fuselage get one and then find it less suitable for indoor flying

I agree. I was thinking the same thing when I watched the HH/QQ video on Youtube. Ultra micros moving up to 2S ?

And while we're on with QQ ... That new Carbon-Z Yak 54 looks very nice but £230 for a PNP foamy ? I suppose that you could say the same about the Habu but I also think that that's also a lot of money for what it is. I dare say that the 25 sized Hurricane will be in that ball-park too.

• 1 month later...
I see theres a transmitter setup for the Dx8 available for this model. Download it from the Spektrum site and pop it in your Tx. No setting up to do, clever

Pasted from the Spektrum website:

Fly the Ultra Micro Extreme Beast the way world famous RC pilot and designer Quique Somenzini does, with his personal settings!

• 1 month later...
@Mathew

Are we discussing the same model? Awesome vertical performance is not so much use indoors.

The UMX beast has a wingspan of around 12"

I've been flying mine at Silverstone's indoor venue, there's plenty of space (and height) there!

As you say, its quick, too quick to be anything other than a pylon racer.

Indoors I'll prop hang and catch most things - but not the UMX Beast!

Outdoors on a dead calm day the UMX Beast is a pleasant fly, However how many times do we get those conditions (and its not a work day ...)

Yup definitely but I fly mine out doors nd the vertical is much appreciated there to get away from the floor after a little mishap :-/ I see what you say about the speed and the fact it's too quick for a lot of indoor venues but on a calm day you really can't beat it in my eyes maybe it's because ive flown no other ultra micros a 3d ultra micro may have to be added to my hangar soon an extra 300 or a 4site as my lhs has a couple left after eflite discontinued it or so I've been told

But it does come down to that good 'ol' British weather for me nd I'm sorry to say it's been boxed up for a good week only came out to change a prop (wheels dug in on landing ) so I see what you say and I think it comes down to me being beast bias as the plane inspired so much confidence in me and opened my eyes to manoeuvrability and what a plane can do after a rather sluggish trainer