400/brushless convertion

Advert

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=80

Cheap and cheerful, bit like the plane, but not sure about being easy to fit - most modellers would be able to mock some sort of mounting up I guess, but that particular model has a sort of powerpod arrangement.  Inrunners are also available, but tend to be more expensive.

remember, by going brushless, you will need a new ESC as well. "s LiPo pack should suffice for this models flying character, and remember again, LiPos need a special charger, and ideally a balancer.

Welcome to the upgrade path...'tis a long and winding road

Hi John,

I  upgraded  my EZ a while back, and its well worth the effort! There is a truly massive thread (now in 3rd issue) on rcforums (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618732&page=472) for the EZ. In essence you have 2 routes -

1) go for a motor/prop that fits in the original motor housing, without modification. This means a high kv motor with a small prop to fit in with the clearence from the fuse

2) Modify the motor mount (raise) and go for a motor that supports a larger prop. This is the route I went for and it was quite easy for an outrunner. The only problem I had was that the motor and prop twisted off the mount - on the first attempt! A meatier installation has been fine since. I went for a BRC hobbies 2409/12 motor and a 8x5 prop and 25a esc

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=322

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&action=additem&item=406

200w is certainly more than enough power for the EZ on a 3s 2100 lipo It made the plane able to handle breezes without worrying, go pretty well verticle but it will still glide a treat and weighs no extra.Balancing was not a problem as the 3s all the way to the front is perfect. I would do the same upgrade again.

Regards

nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ive filled in the profile, tonight i will supply the info i have on my motor. I have just installed a 200w brushless motor into my easystar, i was shocked to find that the power and speed is worse\less than the standered 400 motor supplied. (im using the same prop as i did with the 400 motor) i will post the full spec of the motor tomorrow.

a frustrated steve....!

Thanks for the reply, at least i know someone is actually out there.......

steve.

Of course someone is out here ! Now you are trying to confuse us by changing names ?

I dont see any profile info for either name incidentally ??

I am going to delete your first post as the name change will confuse others ! When you supply more info, please include prop size, all up weight of model,  battery type, C rate etc etc. the more the better ,  TY

hello to anyone that can help me....I installed a brushless motor into my easystar recently and was shocked to find that the plane now has less power....! i was expecting vertical climbing and serious speed, but nothing.this is what i have installed....brushless motor information: dualsky (xm2830ca-10) outrunner, 1180rpm, max power (15 seconds) 200w, max efficiency current 14A, max burst current (15 seconds) 19A, weight 55g, prop range 9x4.7....10x4.7, application class 400-450 size.speed controller information: jeti eco25 li-po and ni-mh compatiblebattery info: 8cell ni-mh 9.6volt (no li-po just yet)prop info: graupner cam speed 14-14cm (5.5"-5.5") i have a bigger prop to install but i need to raise the motor from the position it is in now.the model: easystar (sorry i have no idea of the weight).so does anyone know why my plane is so slow???advance thanks to anyone that can helpSteve (johno)

Well first off, the rpm of the motor is NOT 1180, thats the Kv of the motor which means it will turn 1190 rpm for each and every volt of juice you feed it. The motor specs and claimed power is almost certainly based on using 3S LiPo not heavy low voltage nixx cells. Thirdly, and almost certainly your problem is the the prop that you are using is hopelessly small, and will be producing pathetically low wattage figures - the specs have already told you to use AT LEAST a 9" prop.

That little speed prop at 5.5" is totally unsuitable for the motor and is designed to be used with high revving inrunner motors.

Perhaps you should have a read of this article to help you understand a little about electric flight.

PS I still dont see what you have filled in on your profile johno.....you may have done it incorrectly? 

thanks for your help i will sort out the prop problem and see what happens. i did fill in the profile, i will check it now and try to sort it.

Thanks for spending the time to help me, i will let you know what happens when i get the chance to change the prop

Johno. 

i will let you guys know how my easystar flies as soon as i test it, i have installed the motor higher now and installed a 9-45 prop which is massive. i cannot use the li.po battery yet as i dont have a charger, i'll get one next month cash flow prob's at the mo...! check out some of my vids on youtube if you wanna see how beautiful Finland is from the air, just type stevejohn01 into the youtube search.

Kiitos (thanks in Finnish)

Steve 

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I converted my EasyStar with the intention of adding a video platform. After a bit of calculation a selection of motor (Scorpian 2215-18 plus 25amp ESC) was made and prop. Turned out the prop we used was hell for the EasyStar. The torc of the 10x3.8 was problematic and the same can be said of the 9x3.8 we then tried causing the EasyStar to be really difficult to control on take off. Fitting a 7x5 proved way better and put the "easy" back into Easy Star.

Adding some 5 oz of plasticine to cover the weight of the camera unit and adding a 2 oz plasticine counter weight on the tail the EasyStar flew really well even in a 6 to 7mph wind. Prior to adding the weight the plane weighed 1lb 15 oz.

The EasyStar has had some bumps during my training period and has been named "Phoenix"  due to the amount of glue and additional sticky backed plastic holding it all together.

The changes I made: http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/206/fpv-easystar-video-platform/

An OSD device I have will be tested when I'm ready. I will need to carry out a similar weight check and then I may consider an slightly larger prop. My thanks to my friend Colin who's help in this has been super.

2008-09-12 The changing to the 9x3.8 prop has helped resolve a take off issue... and give a lot more spare capacity.

Dafydd

• 2 months later...
Hiya guys - I'm a long-time flyer of EZ*'s, a great plane as stcok, but I think the 'perfect' motor for it is the HiMark 2816 or similar with an7 x 5 prop....an excellent comb. Verticals all the time but controleable on a 2200 2S (yes, 2S). And flight times of 30 minutes easily. But a bigger rudder always helps!!!!