Capiche 140 CG position

In the Sep 2009 RCM&E, Mike Williams reviewed the Weston Capiche 140 - which got my attention.  I have finally got around to getting one of these kits and have now finished assembling it.  In passing, it was remarkable easy to put together with all the fittings living up to Mike's description of being top quality.

Mike said he flew his with the CG at the centre of the wing tube and it produced a "comfortably neutral".  The instructions give the CG position as 180 mm aft of the LE which places it almost 1 cm behind the position that Mike used.  The manual goes on to say that experts use between 240 - 260 mm aft of the LE.

Now, can some existing Capiche 140 operator comment on whether the position Mike used or the furthest forward CG mentioned in the manual would be the best starting position for a slightly worried, yet to fly it, so called pilot?

Thanks.

Peter 

Advert

Hi Peter

I also bought the Capiche 140 kit after reading the same article, last year (Christmas present). I 've only managed to fly it once, which ended with a heavy landing, partly due to the exhaust working its self lose and no experience with the model, just wanted the model down quick!!!.
Anyway I had the cog set at 185mm from the leading edge as it balanced at that point with no added weight. First impressions were that needed to go futher forward to get used to the model, at leased at 180mm if not a little further forward. I would recommed quite a bit of expo on the elevator as its really powerful as I kept lifting the nose too high on landing, hence the heavy arrival. I would recommend the carbon U/C from CarbonCopy as a replacement to the supplied aluminium one, the CCU18 SIZE one is the same size as the kit type, they do offer a Capiche u/c which I think is CCU14 but is much smaller then the aluminium one.

Cheers

Iain

Hi Peter,

My CoG on the Weston Capiche is at 190mm with no added weight. I am using OS 200-FS pumper.  I would say that this measurement is quite conservative but it is fine for me for doing standard aeros. If you want to some of the more flashy stuff I guess you would need to push the CoG further back, but thats not my thing.  I find the plane is very benign during landing due to its decent wing loading therefore I have not had to replace the ally U/C. The plane has done a good 9 hours flying and on the occasion where I have had to do 2-3 dead sticks it's really not stressful to bring it in safely.

That said for sheer speed and performance I would say Weston's Obsession is a better model and more precise. I am using an OS 160FX in that plane and I enjoy flying it more. But then I wouldn't want to encourage you to spend more money...........!      

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 30/11/2010 19:39:49

Iain and Adrian,

Many thanks for describing your experiences.  I have done a quick balance and it seems sit just in front of 180 mm aft so I think I'll leave it there and see what it's like in the air.  Iain, I have already dialed in a good amount of expo on all the flying surfaces and also have reduced travel from the recommended throws on the rates switches.  So, I'm hoping the first flight will be uneventful.

I'll let you know when I've managed to fly it but the current weather conditions and the approach of Christmas may mean I'll have to wait until the back end of December.

Cheers

Peter