free windows 7 based sim?

ceejay21

Advert

You can definitely run FMS on Windows 7, I'm doing so on the 64bit version.   There are two issues.  

One is that it needs a DLL which doesn't exist in Windows 7, the file is "d3drm.dll" and you need to find that from somewhere (I can email it if you like), and copy that into the FMS program directory.

Secondly FMS likes there to be a serial port, and most PCs nowadays don't have one.  The work around is a registry change that pretends that a port exists.   Create a file called "serialfix.reg" or whatever takes your fancy.   Put the following into it ....

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"HARDWARE"DEVICEMAP"SERIALCOMM]
"""Device""Serial0"="COM3"

Then double-click to import the settings.

The home page for FMS is available here FMS and there's lots of info on the forum.

Cheers again for the help. @Tony Smith 7. I may have to try that sounds like a challenge. Also, Please could you send me that file. That would be great as its a pain to find on the web. And what program would you use to make that file?

Edited By ceejay21 on 15/12/2010 17:48:06

Edited By ceejay21 on 15/12/2010 17:49:53

• 3 weeks later...
FMS now works on my windows 7 OS thanks to Tony Smith's help.
But there is one little niggle. When i fly any type of helicopter in FMS the rudder changes to the throttle and the throttle changes to what the rudder normally is. This only happens with helicopters planes are completely fine. very weird. I have tried playing around with the settings but nothing changes any ideas?