Fokker DR1 triplane

Ed Kershaw

Hi All, Having decided my next project is to be the popular Fokker dr1, not surprisingly there seems to be a lot of choice. I was wondering if anyone has any experience to bear? Choices seem to be: 1. Balsa USA 1/4 scale - I can't find much detailed info on this. I have found one build thread on rcscalebuilder, but the builder modified the kit extensively so I could not get a good appreciation of the original intention. 2. Flair 1/4 scale. Seems to be quite a nice straightforward build, but seems to miss some essential scale features, such as the cut out in the mid wing around the cockpit. Whilst I am not looking for detailed scale, this seems quite a radical and possibly unnecessary departure from the original outline. 3. Zirolli 1/4.4 scale. Looks quite a straightforward build but I have read that it can come out very heavy leading to fast (and unscale like) flight. Also, the nose looks long and the cowl doesn't look that scale - perhaps I'm mistaken. 4. Geln Torrance 1/4 scale. Seems to be a very detailed scale model - more detailed than I really want to take on for this project. My criteria are: Reasonably scale looks - I.e. General outline must be reasonably convincing. Needs to be light. I ran out of enthusiasm for heavy models years ago. Any views or other information most welcome. Many thanks. Ed

Hi Ed
Looks like limited knowledge on 1/4 scale....  This probably wont help, but may spark a few ideas. I built a Flair 1/6 Baronet but altered the plan significantly to make it look more scale. I got a good 3 view drawing, moved the cockpit, added proper cabane struts, made the wings to assemble and take apart in 2 minutes etc. The one thing I got wrong was moving the wheels too far forward to prevent nosing over, but it now ground loops something awful. I've moved the wheels back a bit and this helps but I've got to move them further to make it 'safe'. There are times when the rudder and elevator seem to be blanketed by the wings, then suddenly they kick in really sensitively.
I'm now thinking of building a WW1 biplane from plan, 60 to 70 ins span but don't know what. I want something different to the usual Pup, SE5, DVll, Albatros etc but it must be a decent flier and something I can modify to assemble at the field quickly. There are a few  plans about but it is very difficult to get any idea of how well they fly.

Many thanks i12fly and Stephen. I think it's going to be the Flair kit. It seems to be quite a light build and, judging by the customer photos on the Flair site, someone seems to have achieved a more representative shape to the mid wing centre section, so that should be achievable without too much trouble. I'll post some news/pics when I get going.

the flair Dr1 is one of the most enjoyable aircraft i have owned, and flown,   i have built none of the three i have had,    always regretted selling them on,       yes, its semi scale,    but no-one ever noticed,   scale bothers one person--the builder,   you can easily re-draw the bits you want better--and there is more than the wing centre section !!!         mine where powered by three differant engines,  all petrol,     from 22cc, to 26cc,   all where adequate,    by best memory of mine was my son flying it off southport beach,    in the model airshow they have there,  it was blowing like mad,     Lee thought touch and goes where the order of the day,    so,  he did about  twenty,    took off,  flew 100yards, touched, flew hundred yards, touched,       but these where done by going BACKWARDS!!!,   when he got bored with that,    he simply rolled it,   50 foot up, with no forward motion!!!       i flew the pants off mine,       that rudder bites hard,    ailerons need massive differential,    rudder needs expo,  elevator needs dual rates, with the high rate set with as much as you can get, for landing,        mine where on its nose about 25%of the time,      it can be a bitch          mind made up--I WANT ANOTHER!!!,