Dual elevator mixing on a DX6i Can anyone help

Steven Butler

Hi all

I am currently training with my alphe 40 but have almost finished building my Yak 54.  I am going to try and use two channels for the elevators that are in two halves instead of using a Y Lead. 

Ross Clarkson has sent me some info he got from Timbo but I am still a novice and have only set up my controller very simply on the alpha 40.

What I am really after is a bit of a step by step guide to set up the electronics to achieve this if anyone can help.

Steve

Advert

Phil, sorry the mixing facilities on the Dx6i are better than the equivalent Futaba set and it would be quite easy to plug the second elevator into the gear channel and slave that to elevator with the elevator trim activated.

So the steps are

- Plug Elevator servos into elevator and gear (I'm assuming you are using dual aileron servos so the aux/flap channel is already used and a YAK 54 doesn't have retracts)
- Set the elevator servo up that is plugged into elevator, i.e. direction and travel
- Go to the adjust list
- Select mix 1
- Scroll to master channel, select and then select elevator
-  Scroll to slave channel and set gear
- Scroll onto the rates and select the down and up travel you need
- Scroll to switch and select on, this is always on
- Scroll to trim and set this to act (active)

Job done, all explained on page 70 of the manual.

If you do use a Y lead on the elevator I wouldn't recommend using a servo reverser, I saw a fellow fliers plane go it because the reverser failed and sent the servo to full travel.

Guys, as always there is someone willing to help on this forum.  Thankyou for the replies, I will have her sorted in no time.  I do have the manual but I have found some of it to be a little confusing for an amateur and usually find that people explain things better than manual writers especially for a novice like myself

Steve

Edited By Steven Butler on 31/12/2010 06:23:20

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 30/12/2010 11:02:31:
Phil, sorry the mixing facilities on the Dx6i are better than the equivalent Futaba set and it would be quite easy to plug the second elevator into the gear channel and slave that to elevator with the elevator trim activated.

Frank, why do you say the DX6i mixing is better than the equivalent Futaba set please?

On the Futaba 6EXA ypou can mix one surface to another, but there doesn't seem to be a way of connecting that surface to the trim, hence if you were to mix channel 6 to elevator to get dual elevators then the trim only works on one half of the elevator. Or at least that was the case when we tried to program it on a fellow fliers 6EXA. Also on the EXA you I don't think you can mix a channel with itself, so the other control (flap knob or gear switch) remains active, with the Dx6i you can use the 2nd mix to basically isolate the switch.

So the Dx6i is slightly ahead of the 6EXA IMHO.

Neither are as good as my Cockpit Sx however which has a built in Y lead funtion which allows you to "Y" lead channel 7 to any of the other controls.