Biggles' Mess

Advert

Well, after a nightmare trip down the M6 to Rugby the latest addition arrived home with us yesterday afternoon, if you have to go through J6 Wednesbury watch out for the roadworks and the traffic converging from the near side, it happens very quickly and we found ourselves alongsaide a big curtain-sider coming onto the motorway.
He was pulling on regardless of us and we had nowhere to go,so had to barge our way into the outside lane to avoid being creamed, naturally for this part of the country with the busiest roads in Europe it was a continental (Polish) rig that caused the chaos.They know nobody is going to argue with a 42 ton rig so do as they please.
Anyways said new additon is settling down fine now he has learned to ignore the spitting growling furball that is Eva, she is giving up trying to intimidate him now she realises he is at least twice her size and could easily knock her through the wall into next door if he wanted to but he is so placid I doubt he would be bothered.

Anyways, hospital session went well, feeling much better now it is over and can now have three weeks to get some work done before cycle 4, by then bathroom should be complete and hallwway redecorated, after threatening the kitchen company with the Office of Fare Trading and also legal action for the amount of chaos they have caused, broken promises and shear untrustworthy trading standards they have phoned us to say the problems should all be sorted by friday evening.
I have told them if it is not settled to MY satidsfaction then my standing complaint to Trading Standards will be acted upon and I will have nothing to do with the company as everything will be handled through my solicitor, the change of attitude was immediate and very polite.....we shall see....

Edited By Terence Lynock on 09/02/2011 21:20:37

How would you fancy getting four cats chipped (no not potatoes) inoculated, all the paperwork done, then having to be transported together within 48 hours in a car from the East coast of Spain to Santander, then on a 24 hour ferry to Plymouth.

And, when we arrived at Plymouth we just drove straight out of the port, nobody checked anything.
This happened eight years ago.

When we have gone on coach tours around the continent we have driven off the ferry or Eurospare every time and the port customs have been so lax, once the customs inspector didnt even leave his hut,he just opened the window and said 'English party?' and the driver said 'yes mate, bound for Lille and Metz' and that was it.
Another time a Dutch customs inspector got on and asked for passports, we all held up a passport and she took one look from the front of the coach and said 'OK, all finished' and disappeared back into her office.
Every time we could have had a ton of Semtex in the baggage and it wouldnt have been found, no sniffer dogs, no probes, no nothing, with such a half hearted attitude its little wonder terrorists can find easy targets.

The issue is the UK is not a signaturory to the Schenginen (Spelling?) Agreement - most of the other countries in Europe are. So everyone (not just UK citizens) have to show a passport and go through customs when traveling between the UK and mainland Europe. Within the European mainland the Schenginen countries do not have routine passport checks on anybody - again UK passport holders or otherwise, they have open boarders. Passports are only checked at the point of entry into the Schengenen zone.

BEB

BEB, you're making some confusion. When you come from UK to the Continent - CE zone, you only have to show your passport at the the country of your entrance to be registered in the Shengen Protocol. You don't need to pass through customs becose you're coming from a CE country - free circulation of goods.

After entering the CE space you, as a CE citizen, are free to go werever you want inside CE zone - free circulation of people and goods.

The same for us when we go to th UK; arriving at Heathrow we show the passports to be registered and contrled by the British policy system. We don't need to go thtough costums or declare goods. After this, we are free to go to Scotland, or Irland because we are CE citizens and beeing contoled by the system as you are..

For those goods I order from UK, I pay VAT as you in the origin (UK) and they come to my address without paying anything else and without going trough the costums. From US or from other countries out the CE is the same as for you, but that's an other story!

Cheers,

Augusto

Importing into the US as I did with ship models has turned into a real nightmare of a job, the packing crate if made of wood has to be inspected by someone who holds the appropriate certificate, he then stamps every piece of wood in the crate construction to declare it uninhabited by bugs, fungus etc etc.
Import duty if i had declared it as a museum exhibit or collectors item it would have attracted an import duty of anything up to $1200 plus brokers charges plus shipping, declared as a ship model, a work of modern art and of new construction and made of wood attracted an import charge of approximately $150 - $300 depending on actual valuation.
So it pays to look at the rule book and use the best description in order to keep the import duty down as much as possible, with air mail always describe it as a gift for one, nett value as low as you can dare and described as 'toy parts' or something simular.

Edited By Terence Lynock on 10/02/2011 17:09:07

The point is Augusto the UK is not in the Schengenen zone. If you travel from France to Germany (both in the zone) you will not normally be required to show a passport (unless there is some exceptional security alert). Similarly if you travel from outside the CE, say Russia, to a country within the Schengenen zone you will only be asked for a passport at your point of original entry. Once inside the zone you can move around as freely as you please usually without passport or customs checks. You are quite right about this.

But the UK is not in the Schengenen zone so it is different. If you travel from France to the UK you must show a passport. If you travel from Russia to Germany again you must show a passport, but as stated above if you now go to France you will not be asked for a passport. But if you then went to the UK you will be asked for a passport again - because the UK does not recoginise the Schengenen arrangement.

If you begin a journey in the UK you show a passport at your first point of entry into the Shengenen zone - just as if you had set out from say Russia.

The situation with customs is also different in the UK. Moving about in the Schengenen zone there are, as you say no customs. But when you enter the UK there are. Now I know what you are thinking "No there are not". But it is a classic British compromise! There are customs - but it is a special lane or gate - the "blue lane". People think this is "no customs" - well it is customs but "low key" - so as to not upset the CEC too much.

The reality is the UK does not like the Schengenen agreement, and it effectively ignores it and maintains full passport and customs systems in place for all travellers from outside the UK regardless of wether they are EU citizens or if their journey started in an EU country. They are all treated the same. With only one exception (see later), everyone is passport and customs checked on entry into the UK.

Regarding your points about Scotland and Ireland. Well Scotland and Northern Ireland are in the UK - so obviously you do not need a passport to enter then from England and similarly there is no customs. Europeans often have some confusion about the difference between; England, Britain and the UK. For nation status only the UK counts and that is made up of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. So moving about inside them you are still in the same state - hence no passports and no customs.

Now Ireland - the state of Eire - sometimes called Southern Ireland - is the one exception I mentioned before. Traditionally there is no passport check between the UK and Ireland. But that is an old agreement and has nothing at all to do with Schengenen, it pre-dates Schengenen by very many years.

So you see it is possible for a visitor from Europe to form the wrong impression that the UK really is a Schengenen zone country because its customs practices on journeys originating from within the EU are "low key" and have more generous allowances and because there is no passport control into Scotland (not a different state) or Ireland (a very old agreement). But it isn't an accurate impression!

I'm afraid that the UK is a very reluctant European! And will drag its feet on any issue it possibly can. It's not in Schengenen and it's not in the Euro either! The politics of this are not our concern - I only make reference to the position.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/02/2011 17:51:04

Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the Beatles first appearance at the "Cavern". I used to disconnect the speedo on my old man's van that I used for transport and bunk off from Tech College at Connah's Quay and shoot over there for the lunchtime sessions with five or six of my mates and a couple of guitars in the back. On a couple of occasions we went on from the Cavern to the Spinning Wheel in Manchester for further merriment. My Dad never did figure out why his poor old 105E Ford van got worn out at such a low mileage  

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/02/2011 19:52:19

50 years ... already? ... good memories from those days! ,,, time flies

BEB - you're very right indeed! that was me making some confusion! In fact, I was forgetting the "blue lane" and you know why? because everytime I go through the "blue lane" I don't feel it as costums!

It's understandable UK as a reluctant European! it only wiil be need to read History! and I support that position BEB.

Cheers

Augusto

The story so far.......Xb-70 wing ready for the fuse........

Fuse fitted and wired up, everything checks out but aileron servo arms need adjusting........

The aileron servo is a Futaba 3003 in the middle of the power pod underneath the wing so will have to drop the power pod off to get at it, no problem as it is screwed on, just a bit awkward to do.
Next job is the twin fins to make and fit, then its down to painting and last bits to finish off, then its back to the Turkey which is coming along nicely, fuse is finished and wing structure finished and waiting for covering, tailplane built ready for covering and elevators to be fitted, should have a few shots of that one soon.

Cofee and a wod please ! just ordered some depron to start my build of the BV 215 ,I have to say ,The last 2 free plans have been ( To me ) exeptional,I've nearly finished my Pix-e major then i will get on with theB&V 215 ,can't wait to see what that one flys like , Blimmy it feels like xmas again . Does any one know if there are any vids around for the pix-e major in flight ? TD

Well, weighed the XB-70 and with a 1300 Lipo it will just come in at about 700g ready to fly, wing loading is about 5.4 oz sq ft so should be a bit of a floater, still have that wayward aileron to sort out but its only a few turns on the connector, I will give it a couple of airbrush coats of white undercoat then a top coat of gloss white.
As far as I can tell at this point the CoG is almost right, may need a bit of church roof in the pointy end but not a lot.