2 Stroke Petrol Engine Best Oil and Mix

Alan Bahia

Hi All,

Mix 
I've got an petrol engine (JC28) and I'm following the engine manual  which says to mix 40:1 before break in and 25:1 afterwards. I wonder why you don't do the same on a scooter or any 2 stroke engine

So, have spoke to a fella expert in engines and he told me to go always for 40:1 and now I'm a bit confused 

Best two stroke Oil: 
I have started to use a Fully Synthetic 2 stroke for scooters from Halfords: http://bit.ly/fmvHNk

However following was the advise from the expert fella:

Best ever - Number 1: Silkolene Pro 2 Racing Two Stroke Oil (very$$$)

Very good - number 2: Castrol Power 1 TTS 2T Motorcycle Engine Oil

So, no mention of mine but I got the recommendation of guys in my club (Aldershot Model Club) which flies for ages and they use it!! So, share your settings with us!

Cheers,

Alan Bahia 

Edited By Alan Bahia on 05/01/2011 21:54:49

Hi Alan
I think that its a bit of a sweeping statement to say "always go for 40:1".
You say 40:1 before break-in in your post and 25:1 afterwards. Thats i'm sure shoud be the other way around.
25:1 is an oilier mix to keep the new bore/lining well oiled during the harsh break-in period. You should then slowly adjust the mix you use out to something like 40:1 and keep in mind that as you change you will need to tweek the mixture screw. Don't go any leaner with the oil than the manufacturer says just in case and just lean it out until the engine sounds comfortable and you have a nice hint of smoke from the exhaust.
My CRRC engine also asked for a mineral oil to run in on so i just used a cheap scooter oil and then its ok to slowly change to a synthetic and i've gone for the castrol TTS you mention.
The 3 or 4 hours of running so far have mainly been on mineral and i think its starting to pay off. The enging starts well, never cuts out and sounds quieter, smoother and there's certainly no shortage of power.
ps the castrol smells great too!!

Alan I think you've got the two mixes the wrong way round it should be 25:1 for running in and 40:1 thereafter. The amounts vary between engines and oil companies but I'd stick to any good quality 2 stroke oil at the figures recommended by the engine manufacturer. I've used Stihl 2 stroke oil for years now as I run my chainsaws and model engines on the same mix (hate having different mixes around the place) but there are many different makes of 2 stroke oil on the market which are equally good 

Hi Lee,

This is really good.... no resumes but is 50:1 good mix? 

Is this the oil? 

Most of the guys are talking 40:1 here. 

Cheers Alan 

Edited By Alan Bahia on 06/01/2011 16:38:49

Castrol Power 1 TTS 2T Motorcycle Engine Oil is what i use ,any 2 stroke oil for cowled engines like the stuff for scooters is fine.
stick to the manufacturers recommend mixture ,and some people like to use mineral oil at first running in,as this will speed up the run in process slightly,i just use TTS from the start .

most engines will be happy on 50:1 mix when run in ,its cleaner for a start ,and normally
better to tune ,but for piece of mind stick to 40:1 if thats whats manufacture recommends

How did you get on yesterday Alan ? did it get going?

Edited By austen rover on 06/01/2011 18:24:40

Alan, yes that's the oil and I do run a 50:1 mix on mine. Reading your OP you have a new engine and should follow the manufacturers instructions or you would invalidate any warranty. My Zenoah runs great with that mixture, I bought it second hand and run it as the guy who sold me it was.