Maidened my Tiger Moth today!

Finally maidened my Tiger Moth today. Not a true maiden, I suppose, as I got it secondhand. Was a beautiful day at the strip. Had it all to myself. The joys of working shifts I guess. Was a bit different from most of the aircraft I've flown. Didn't need much trimming out.

Not bad for my phone camera!
Andy

Advert

It's a Perkins 78" (almost 1/4 scale I think) Tiger. I got it, airframe and servos, off ebay last year and it's been sat around for a fair few of months. I was going to recover and tart it up but I can't do intricate stuff due to an on going arm injury. So it got put in the air on a budget. I managed to find a very cheap 90 2 stroke (can't afford a 4 stroke) and run that on a 14 X 6 prop. It will fly on 1/4 throttle quite nicely and the aeros are nice and sedate. I think I'll have to play around with aileron differential next time I fly it. Not so much down travel, mind you the rudder/ aileron mix was quite effective. It took some getting down.  I was quite surprised at how well it flew and it was very stable. Mind you they were built as a trainer.

I'd love to get some aeriel shots but as I fly solo most of the time it's quite difficult to put the tx down and grab the camera

Just waiting my next project to arrive at the moment. A 80" Hanger 9 piper cub. I've got all the servos for that and it's going to get my OS 61 fx in the front. Should fly nice!!

Andy

I have two Tiggies - one of which is the baby brother of that one TurbyCat. Nice flying model. But you are right about the ailerons. They're pretty ineffective at the best of times but with equal throws you don't just need "a little rudder" to turn her neatly - you need shed loads of it!

If you put about 50% differential in (less "down" obviously) then you'll find she'll turn much easier with a just a normal amount of helping rudder for a bipe. That's what I've found with mine by trial and error anyway.

Enjoy it, I get great pleasure from just pottering round with mine and doing a few gentle scale-like aeros. Have you tried rolling her yet? That's fun - but do it high the first time!

BEB

Hi BEB,
 she looped and stall turned really gracefully I love nice floaty slow flying planes and the gentle aeros. Hopefully the cub I have on order will work out as nice! I'll have a play with the aileron throws over the next few days. Hopefully be up again at the weekend after 3 nights at work

@ Fly boy
 All my previous planes have been low wing sport or 60 size scale stuff. So it's difficult to put it exactly but I'll try (might end up rambling tho'). It's my first large scale model and first biplane I've flown. First I was surprised when I found it would fly on 1/4 throttle and it's only running on an old asp 90 2 stroke, but when you thottle up you seem to get no significant increase in speed. Just climb rate and noise! The elevator and rudder were extremely effective. The ailerons gave a great deal of adverse yaw, due to the drag of the down going aileron. I used a rudder mix on my Tx to help counter this. It would probably be quite tricky to fly just thumbs on. When landing it just wanted to keep floating on ( I might have to adjust the tick over a bit lower on the engine ). I found it a very stable aircraft. Not twitchy and fast. After a few more flights I reckon I'll get set up a bit better. It seems to me to be an ideal summer evening toy. The original was a trainer so I guess this is a pretty good scale interpretation. I'm sure I've heard it said " it's easy to fly a tiger but difficult to fly it well!"

What bipe have have you built? They won't all fly the same

Andy

Hi Flyboy,

differential is the name given when you adjust the ailerons so that they (usually) move up more than they move down. So the aileron movement is no longer symetrical. Why? Well as Turbycat said with a lot of bipes in particular the down going aileron creates a lot more drag than the up going one. So when you try to, say, turn right and you bank to the right, then the left aileron obviously goes down and the right goes up. But the extra drag on the down going aileron means that the plane actually yaws to the left - remember, you are trying to turn right! So in this right turn you end up with the nose sticking out to the left - which looks weird. In really bad cases it can almost feel like the ailerons are reversed - you stick in right aileron the model turns left! This whole effect is called "adverse yaw".

Putting in less down throw than up throw on the ailerons lessens the effect because it lessens the extra drag from the down going aileron. Using rudder in the turns - either mixed in, or the good fashioned way with your thumbs - also helps a lot. BTW putting the rudder in manually isn't so difficult after a bit of practice Turbycat - and very satisfying when you get it right!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/01/2011 21:24:29

I did have a go with the sticks but with my right arm problems my coordination isn't what it should be!! A bit of differential and a milder rudder mix should have me sorted. It's amazing how different it feels to control a plane from the ground rather than being in it. I have over 500 launches in gliders of all sorts and about 750 hours on powered, including a full size Druine D31a, that I still own, and Austers from Skegness airfield when it existed!

My D31a Turbulent

Had a few flights in this for a bit of fun. An Ex RAF T21 Sedburgh with a self sustainer pusher engine attached. Would love to build a scale model of this.

Andy

Some years ago I was given a surprise birthday present of a flight in a full size Tiger Moth.

For much of the flight I had control and all turns were done with ailerons and elevator with no rudder input at all. Apart from the take off, I had hand and feet on the controls and the only time I felt the rudder pedals move was on the landing approach just before touch down and while taxiing after landing.

Does any model Tiger fly like that?

I like the idea of the powered T21 having had some airtime in a conventional; one based at Rufforth many years ago. Also built a small model of one converted fromn FF to R/C around the same time.

Malcolm

Edited By Malcolm Fisher on 18/01/2011 22:03:26

Not going to disagree with you there. Never flown in a full size tigger. I have flown Austers and a bit of rudder pressure was needed to have a nice balanced turn and all the gliders I've flown have needed rudder. Actually when I first started my power training I used to get told off for stomping on the rudder of the Cessna 150 or 172. I guess there might be more drag from the model ailerons than the full size. Not sure about other model tiggys but this one will deffinately need rudder to get any sort of coordinated turn.

Andy

Malcolm, as I say I have two model Tiggies and while they will turn on elevator/aileron only they are not pretty turns and there is a lot of side slip. To make a neat - scale like turn - I find I have to use the rudder with them.

As I hinted above, rolling them is fun. The ailerons are not powerful - compared to most models - so every roll is a slow roll! You need to use rudder at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions (as well as down elevator inverted of course) to roll even passably axially. Other wise its up elevator on the way in and a very barrelled slow roll!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/01/2011 22:11:07

I started my glider training on the T21 at Strubby airfield in Lincolnshire. I also flew them from RAF Scampton with the air cadets! I'm going to have to find some plans now. About a 120" span would be nice with a modded u/c so it could self launch. Easier to do on a model!!

Funny you should mention a tug

My LMS was trying to sell me a wot 4 xl and a 26cc petrol engine. Said it would make a great tug!! Just cos I mentioned getting a glider and we're a bit short of hills round where I live!

I guess I could always put an auto pilot in one of em!

Hi Turbycat, thanks for the explanation. I am of a similar trait, mostly sports models and occasional stand off scale. I had read about adverse yaw, andwill be ready for it on my maiden flight. The bipe is an obscure model called Josephin and built from a Traplet plan. Its lower wing is shorter than the upper wing, but it has no wing bracing wires that could cause extra drag. There is a picture in my album, in fact its the only one. Cheers FB3 ps I think the name given to the wing arrangement is called a sesqiplane.(I think)