VQ Kits

IanN

Advert

I should have thought of that, shouldn't I

I hadn't realised these are (apparently) rebranded Air Loisirs. Not sure whether that's a good thing or not but it raises the question of why the rebranding was necessary.

That said, although heaviness is mentioned, from the ltd info available there don't seem to be too many negatives

I got a P51B under the Air Loisirs brand about 4 years ago, so the info could now be different. This turned out a bit heavy as the 'balsa' was heavy stuff more like obeche etc.
I bought it on impulse and was very slow to put it together. The construction seems quite well made. I've only flown it twice using an SC70FS, it felt good in the air but suffering deadstick each time (possible overheating). The subsequent landings were on the heavy side but the structure remained intact. The 'air loisir' retract undercarriage piano wire was as soft as the proverbial and I decided to rebend some legs in real(?!) piano wire.
I did that about 18 months ago but haven't got around to fitting them yet...
The plane looks good and realistic from 10 paces but close up the weathering effect is a bit toy-like. As I say though, the model may have been modified by now.
Your post has re-sparked enthusiasm for the model sitting up there on the shelf! I'll get it finished and flying again this spring!

Posted by Scott Cuppello on 28/01/2011 18:01:02:
That Sea Hurricane is lovely, I should know, I built and flew the 1st one!

Scott was that the 40 or 60 size ? I have a 65 looking for a home and the 40 size looks tempting if I can get past the slab sides !

Ive built three and got a forth on the go had no problems apart from the servo tray being loose on the Texan. But allways go round the joints with cyno.

P-51B Mustang Fly's like its on rails looks good in the air. OS 70FS

Cap 10 15cc RCGF Petrol, a bit challenging to fly as at certian attitudes orentation is a problem so needs flying.
AT6 Texan, Satio 72FS Hopefully will maden in the morning.

P-51B Mustang on the bench, OS 81FS being fitted.

For the price I have no complaints and I am planning to buy the 60 size FW-190A for a 15cc RCGF.

Edited By Philf on 29/01/2011 19:42:00

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not very happy with VQ... I paid £120 for a FW 190 and I've just had my 2nd FW 190 delivered (the first was damaged - fuselage cracked at the the horiz. stab) and the second has exactly the same problem.
On a closer look both have seem to have a significant lack of glue round the fuselage and the entire lot is a bit wobbly - the tail feathers will not be stable and will fail - no question at all. This is for a 60 - 90 size so you really don't want them coming off...
What’s worrying is what else may be wrong with these models? Anyone got any horror stories (or maybe I've just been unlucky and there are some good ones)
I've already paid so don't know what to do – will probably just have to accept it!!

That sounds to me like a batch has been damaged on-route to the supplier, I would just return it and ask them to check it BEFORE they send it out [which they should be doing], as somebody has already mentioned, it's worth going round glued joints again on VQ stuff [they are not alone in this respect] ....but it is good value for money......I think it comes down to this, if you are used to building Hanger 9, then it's going to come as a bit of a shock, if you are used to ARF's generally, then not at all, I have the same attitude with all of them, give the manual a quick glance....then bin it...usually do the same with most of the hard-ware, then crack on and build it, and it usually works out no problem.

Thanks Scott - think you're right it appears to be a batch issue. Slough models will be collecting both tomorrow and delivering a new one (inspected by them this time before it gets posted).
Must say I haven't got that much experience of ARTF's - only been back in the game for the last few years after a 30+ year lay-off.
Since then I've built a few but not so's i've got lots of experience (a World models trainer, an ARC Ready, a Great Planes Big Stick and a Prangster + a few other electric foams). But I quite like building so have built a few own design C/L's, a Limbo Dancer and am in the process of building a TN Hurricane.
Anyway when the next one arrives I'll add plenty of glue and bracing wherever necessary and hopeful it'll stay in one piece. I'm quite impressed at what you get for your money from VQ - if it all works!!!

One of those "duh" moments...
I was packaging up the damaged FW 190's this morning for Slough to collect and found I'd confused the boxes (being identical and both in my workshop) and opened the one box twice....
Well the inevitable happend - I saw the damaged tail area and concluded both were damaged...
Sorry for leading everyone up the garden path....