light weight transport Cases

Phil 9

Advert

Li-Po's comes under the Dangerous Goods label, I was reading up on them on my 8hr 15min flight back this morning (106kts head wind) .

Have a read of THIS for all the info you will ever need on air transporting Lithium Polymer batteries.

Hello James

Do the regulations of transportation of dangerous goods apply the same to items in your personal luggage.

If they do then most passengers break the rules on every flight,

dangerous goods must be transported in an approved container correctly labelled with the correct paperwork. for air transportation even perfumes are classed as dangerous goods as some are flammable. but limited quantities (of certain items) are allowed in your luggage

and sorry James but those instructions are already out of date

But has anyone have experiance of moving lipos within there luggage and did they run into any problems

I know loose batteries of ant type in luggage are a no no

Edited By Phil B on 05/02/2011 16:57:17

Yes they are out of date Phil but that's the only link I can find, if you really want to know, the changes for 2011 are to paragraph R, line 2 (2. Place no more than 12 batteries or 24 cells in a package) which is now deleted.
That's it, that's all the difference between the current and last years.

Yes I understand laptops, etc have these types of batteries but as a device, is an r/c plane a device? Will it travel with the batteries fitted?

Your best bet is to contact the airline and ask them.

as per tranny case use the insulated drinks bag, i use the same when going on the slopes when a lot of walking is required, to make it crush proof line it with a correx box easily made from a sheet of correx. i do the same to make wing boxes to transport delicate wings to the field and have a ruck sack with wing box for the slopes. for batterys i use the align tool box these are a yellow plastic foam lined box with lock system and a handle. i also fit all my lipos with female connectors on + & - terminals just connect red to red black to black but no shorts.