RAF Tornado F3 - 2001 Airshow Season

Phil Cooke

Not only has the recent UK defence cuts cost us full-sized aviation fanatics the Harriers, the new MR4 Nimrods and the venerable Dominie, don't forget 2010 also saw the end of Panavia Tornado F3 operations with the RAF.

As a lad, wanting to become a fast jet pilot (I never actually made it in the end ) the Air Defence Variant of the Tornado (designated F2, then F3 by the RAF) was always my dream ride and a keen favourite of mine at all the airshows we'd attend. There was nothing like standing close by one at take-off - you could feel the sound vibrating in your chest with the awesome power of its 2 RB-199 engines in full reheat. At one point, it was listed as the fastest aircraft in the world down at low level, and would regularly demonstrate this with its 100' high speed pass - converting all that energy effortlessly into a 15,000ft vertical climb and descent.

Before its retirement, the RAF had not displayed the F3 as a solo aircraft for a few years (it did take part in a few RAF role demos up until 2009) - this great video dates back to the 2001/2002 season when, as a solo display it was at its very, very best! So sit back, turn up the sound and enjoy the ride!

Damn! I wish I had realised my dream - I am so in the wrong job!

Advert

Bet the guy in the back felt sick!!

I was an engineer on the F3s at Leuchars in the 90s, my leaving present was 50 minutes of ear popping fun!!

I've done a lot of flying but I did feel quite queasy by the end, it was the sustained 'g' that I wasn't used to.

An awesome experience.

Didn't realise that they had retired them, something else in a museum that I can say I worked on now!!

GB

Never got to fly in a Tonka during my time at Lossie,

however.... I did get a 1 hour flight in a Red Arroe Bae Hawk as my leaving gift fron the Reds when I worked in Air Traggic at Scampton!! Started as a pairs fornmation doing aeros in EGR313 then a Practice Diversion at Conningsby. All that followed by 15 mins on the controls myself.. Great fun!! Loved the Run and Break to Land back at Scampton!!

They were the days!!!

Dave