Sportsman Aviation Spitfire

winchweight

Advert

Hi Tim, That's very kind of you, Thanks, Sadly I'm missing the whole thing as I purchased the airframe minus a few bits and pieces for charity, The kit appears to have been partially started then stored in a very dusty place for years and graduallly parts nicked off it for use in other planes so I fear I'll need the whole manual. I'll happilly reimburse you for any costs of course.
Thanks again, Mark.

• 1 year later...

Hope it's OK to add to this topic after such a long time but I've just completed a Sportsman Aviation Spitfire which I bought a few years ago. My choice of motor up front is a Saito 82. After several frustrating hours trying to get the mechanical retracts to work, I binned them in favour of a set of Horizon Hobbies electric retracts which cost more than the model, but worth every penny. What I am alarmed about is the 14oz of lead needed up front to acheive CoG. Is this normal? It will take all up weight to just over 8lbs.

Another niggle. The cockpit canopy is very brittle, after all this time I don't suppose spares are available? If not, will a canopy from another kit fit?

Tom,

I had one of these and it flew beautifully and I regret selling it. I agree that the underside blue covering was horrendous so I repainted it and flew it for a season or two. I then stripped off all the covering and covered it in Solartex and repainted it. I removed the wheels and dolly launched it. I've since tried to buy another one several times with a view to adding the correct orientation retracts and flaps but have been unsuccessful.

I had an even bigger engine, a Thunder Tiger 91, it hauled it around the sky easily. I can't remember if I needed any lead to balance it. It was a really good plane, I bought it from Wings and Wheels from Ripmax 'cheapy' sale. I hope you enjoy flying it.