more "oomph" required

fly boy3

Hi all, Last summer I flew a 1/4 scale tri pacer with a SC 91 4 stroke up front. It was a windless day, but the speed was marginal. I hope to fly it again in the summer. Is there any way I can get slighly more power to have a safer and more enjoyable flight. More nitro has been suggested by club member. Cheers

Advert

I fear Alan is spot on FB3. To get any appreciable difference you are going to have to go to quite heafty amounts of nitro 20+% or so. That will proove expensive and those sort of nitro levels are not really good for your engine (you get nothing for free!). You'll end up overstressing the engine and unless you are very particular about after run care you'll end up with too much corrosive by-product that wont do your bearings much good. And to top it all, the power will still probably be less than you would really like.

If you like the model then an investment in a new engine looks to be the way forward - alternatively sell the airframe and get something a little smaller for your 91.

BEB

Yes I think you are all correct, and to be honest ,it is the answer I most expected, Plan B then -remove engine, look for an air frame that is smaller. All that nitro would be an exessive amount anyway, and my budget would never go near a petrol engine of any size. Thanks for your help and fruitfull advise. FB3

FB3 ,

I have this plane. Mine is not complete yet. it is a nearly finished project. I have pictures in my gallery. I have a super tiger 2000 mounted on the front. and a whacker of a prop 18 inch i think!! I hope to get it in the air summer. What does yours look like.??? it might give me some Idea of finishing!!! I did have bell cranks in the airlerons but after 20 years sat in some one loft they were a little stiff so i have done the direct servo attachement. i was only just asking about the UC linage and what to use . what have you done with it???

Gaz

Hi Gaz. my tri pacer came to me minus its u/c springs etc, but the old girl did not seem to mind at all, as long as my landings were good and on a concrete surface. It flew very well and sedate, probably due to an under powered engine as the above posts say.. When I can get it out of my loft, and the weather improves a bit I will send you a few pictures. Also I have servos in the wings, I also had flaps, but she lands very well without them . Cheers. ps, That ST 2000 is a cracker.