Risk Assessment for starting I C models

TIM, I take exeption to that last post, I started this thread as a simple survey to find what to put in a risk assessment to suit everyone. the simple answer is it probably suits no one , thats fine , saves me a job.
mmm 300 years in H&S a bit of an impossibility really don,t you think?
its silly comments like that , that turned this thread per shaped .
All in all good intention wasted.

Advert

I can understand the need for safety. I sometimes feel that the nanny state wants to wrap cotton wool round everything.
I think the BMFA guidelines provide a fine base for people to follow. These are designed with safety at the forefront. hence when you are taught to take the glow off from behind.
I took have had a similar injury and sprayed blood around. not a pretty sight . but then i was rushing and did not do as taught . It is when people rush that health and safety becomes an after thought!!!

By the way John it was not Tim that wrote the comment he mearly quoted another user supporting a new thread on safety.

This is good though as it does make every one think so it has been educational for all involved. Maybe this trhread alone will have helped prevent an injury?

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 13/03/2011 10:16:02

I'm sorry John but this is how the majority of people see H&S now. Unfortunately it's the 'over the toppers' who have made it a joke. I mean to say, as already quoted in a previous post, a label on a kettle saying HOT, a warning on a bag of nuts 'This Product May Contain Nuts'. People do not like to be treated like idiots and I'm one of them. John, you are doing a great job but it's the people who take your recommendations and screw them up with stupid things like the above examples. Of course your fighting a losing battle when the media started using the term Elf n Safety. Cheers mate, on saying on the above I do appreciate the necessary job you do until it gets messed around with.

Geoff

John, I'm disappointed about the response you've received and understand your frustration. The number of accidents we see reported across this forum are appalling. As someone reported elsewhere, most modellers have scars. I'm going to butt out now, as I've upset enough people. Best wishes for the future in your flying and modelling. Stay safe

Isn't part of the A certificate all about demonstrating safety and model awareness in and out of the pits?

Surely if this has been foregrounded in the BMFA handbook, then the precautions that EVERYBODY takes ALL the time are enough, because we all prepare our models and act in the pit in accordance with those guidelines everytime we're around our models. Right? Right?

If you are a member of a club with competent people and you get lax, then one of them will point out to you that it only takes one act of idiocy to ruin the day. And by idiocy I mean flouting the rules, not paying attention to the world around you or generally cocking around.

You can't legislate for accidents - just take a look at the M25 on an average weekday morning. All those people have driving licences, but sometimes screw up or do something silly and selfish. Legislation beyond what we already have wouldn't work because (as has been pointed out) an accident is unpredictable. Do we really need a high viz walking around the pits?

oops, sorry John, no offence intended, but i have no respect for the H&S movement, and i was just venting my annoyance, your initial thread starter has now evolved--at my suggestion, into a good thread, full of ideas about improving field, and engine starting safety, can i ask you to gather those ideas, and make a decent list out of the suggestions, this is i feel, how your idea could evolve,