Phoenix plane questions

Steve W-O

Was playing quite a bit yesterday, the more I use Ver3 the better I think it is, I certainly think it is the best sim now.

I'm hoping some users can give opinins on some questions.

I was trying lots of different planes, and found what I thought were some quite surprising results.

Are the Extra, Capiche and Funtana really so easy to fly?
They make my attempts at aerobatics look expert!

Is the Wot 4 really so hard to fly inverted? It's like trying to stand on a greasy barrel with one leg.

Does the Ripmax Gambler really have such a fragile undercarriage?

I find that most of the models I have flown are quite accurate, especially the Mentor which I use to help people, it glides much more like the real thing now.

Advert

I've no idea, but I tend to find that models feel different to fly in the real world: I am comfortable flying jet turbines on Phoenix,but in real life I begin to feel uncomfortable with my flying wing at times.... And I'll wager that 90% of people don't turn on any wind on phoenix either - so aeros - especially 3d - is so much easier than it would be in real life.

Posted by birdy on 20/03/2011 14:43:38:
I've no idea, but I tend to find that models feel different to fly in the real world: I am comfortable flying jet turbines on Phoenix,but in real life I begin to feel uncomfortable with my flying wing at times.... And I'll wager that 90% of people don't turn on any wind on phoenix either - so aeros - especially 3d - is so much easier than it would be in real life.

I always have the weather set to "Brisk day" at a minimum, didn't realise how windy the UK was until I started flying again

Re the WOT 4 Steve the answer is "no". The wing section on the Phoenix one is "wrong" - i.e. in Phoenix it is placed in the "trainer" section and given a flat bottomed section. That's why it flies inverted so badly! The real WOT4 (the kit not the ARTF - I can only really speak for the kit) has a semi-symetrical section.

All this means the Phoenix WOT4 feels nothing at all like the real kit WOT4 which is much more "neutral" and aerobatic in its flight. You can change the wing section in Phoenix so a semi-synetrical section and then it is indeed more realistic.

Can't comment much on the Extras et al I have only really flown one - the little PZ Extra 300 - but that is very easy to fly, very neutral indeed.

The Tiger Moth in Phoenix is quite realistic - well at least it's like my Tiger Moths! - in that you really need co-ordinated rudder to turn it. I would say the Phoenix Tiggie is slightly easier to fly than the real model as you can turn it on ailerons and elevator only - albeit very untidily! On the actual model you can't do that all!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/03/2011 17:13:11:
Re the WOT 4 Steve the answer is "no". The wing section on the Phoenix one is "wrong" - i.e. in Phoenix it is placed in the "trainer" section and given a flat bottomed section. That's why it flies inverted so badly! The real WOT4 (the kit not the ARTF - I can only really speak for the kit) has a semi-symetrical section.

All this means the Phoenix WOT4 feels nothing at all like the real kit WOT4 which is much more "neutral" and aerobatic in its flight. You can change the wing section in Phoenix so a semi-synetrical section and then it is indeed more realistic.

Can't comment much on the Extras et al I have only really flown one - the little PZ Extra 300 - but that is very easy to fly, very neutral indeed.

The Tiger Moth in Phoenix is quite realistic - well at least it's like my Tiger Moths! - in that you really need co-ordinated rudder to turn it. I would say the Phoenix Tiggie is slightly easier to fly than the real model as you can turn it on ailerons and elevator only - albeit very untidily! On the actual model you can't do that all!

BEB

Thanks BEB, I will change the Wot 4 section.

I had to make quite a few changes previously to the Mentor, as the real one floats on for ever when landing, and the one on Phoenix just didn't. For some reason the Ver3 Mentor is very realistic, though I have no idea what has been changed. In general I have found ver3 to be 1000% better in the way aircraft fly, especially in the wind.

The Mentor is a trainer, and has a trainer section, but that flies inverted OK, so I was thinking of righting moments and vertical CoG placement as well.

Really appreciate your comments, to me it is important to know how the sim is compared to the real models

BEB, I tried that this morning, and it makes a big difference, thanks. A little bit of tweaking with the wing lift, and it will be good.

I hope more people post their experiences, and what they have done to make the sim like their model, then we can buold a collection that we know represents the real model accurately

Yeah, I agree. The sim is excellent - and like you I feel version 3 is big step forward. But with so many models in the sim now I suppose you can't expect everyone to fly just like the real thing. But you're right if folks did start posting what "mods" they have put in to tune the sim version so it flies more like the real thing that would be very useful for users - and ultimately for Phoenix as well.

So come on folks what "tweeks" have you found necessary to make the Phoenix version of your "pride and joy" to fly just like the real thing?

BEB