Launching flying wings

birdy

Or in my case not... How do you launch your flying wing?
I say this because I use the "frisbee" method for my Raven, chucking it and then going full power as fast as i can. This doesn't work that well though - today I had a nice flight didn't crash. Going  for the second flight. Flew into the ground on launch. Try again, ditto with damage (not major though)...

Any suggestions as to how to do it?

Birdy 

Edited By birdy on 20/03/2011 17:03:25

Advert

no words shown, but i take it you mean launching a chevron type, if so, grip it at the T.E., firmly in your hand, thumb on bottom, and shove it into wind, if its a comabt glider, you dont want the encumberence of a hand hold on the bottom, unless its a nail

but that might damage someones combat glider, ehh

Kinda like this, hold the tranny in my right hand,thumb on the stick and just lob it into the wind and hope it all goes well!!

Edited By r6dan on 20/03/2011 17:13:48

Mine has a finger chopper on the back so I don't fancy doing that, lest my neck strap knock the throttle forward... Launching it into the wind usually means into the trees behind where I fly, so I usually end up doing it cross wind, or downwind if there the wind isn't too fast.

Nice weight lifting pose Dan.

Posted by birdy on 20/03/2011 17:35:23:
Mine has a finger chopper on the back so I don't fancy doing that, lest my neck strap knock the throttle forward... Launching it into the wind usually means into the trees behind where I fly, so I usually end up doing it cross wind, or downwind if there the wind isn't too fast.

Ha Ha cheers!!

is yours a standard Zaggi with a motor conversion?

Posted by r6dan on 20/03/2011 17:37:32:
Posted by birdy on 20/03/2011 17:35:23:

Ha Ha cheers!!

is yours a standard Zaggi with a motor conversion?because I fancy making a removable power unit for mine.

I launch my raven at half throttle buy holding the left leading edge with my left hand and pushing it into wind at a fairly level angle (maybe 10-15 degrees up). It just flies right out steady as a rock. If you can't launch into wind why not walk across and aim back at where you usually stand. Downwind launches are always prone to problems.

Posted by r6dan on 20/03/2011 17:39:19:

is yours a standard Zaggi with a motor conversion?because I fancy making a removable power unit for mine.
No, its a Raven.

I launch my Mugi Evo by holding it half way down the left leading edge with my left hand, back 45° to the wind with the aircraft in front of me. Then I just try to give it a firm flat throw! I have found adding a little up trim and have the TX on a strap around my neck so my hand is already on the right stick has managed to save a few rubbish launches.

I have this problem too. I know these are critical to CG issues. I have tried a range of motors and esc combinations. I have recently completely stripped it including the fibre tape. Bought a motor for the Codster but not got round to fitting yet. too much fun with the Funjet which is soooooo easy to launch and is basicallly the same as a zagi with a loud screaming prop on the rear . But handles well with speed and glides in just as easily for landing probably walking pace!!! Oh i love it. and it is only on standard set up with a 25c lipo. Must get the zagi sorted though. this thread is a kick up the back end for me. need to trimm the trailling edge as some of the foam came off with the tape.

For me, full power frisbee launch at about 45deg upwards, it gives me time to find the other stick with the launch hand. It helps to hold the Tx level with your shoulder as it is easier to find the stick while you're watching the plane