What exactly killed my big seagull

Tim Mackey

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/03/2011 21:04:52:
Posted by leccyflyer on 24/03/2011 19:13:59:
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/03/2011 18:10:10:
I may have used LMP, or just my regular big roll of 60/40 - cant honestly remember.
What I can be sure of is that there was no mixing of types - the tinned leads on the ESC were cut back to the correct length of the leads to suit my installation, the bare fresh copper tinned, and then brand new bullets were tinned and soldered on in one stage.
I refuse to use that awful lead free rubbish - and stocked up with a HUGE drum of multicore 60/40 a couple of years back.

Did you add the extra leads for the data logger afterwards, as a second soldering job?

There are no "extra leads" - the logger comes already fitted with a pair of inputleads and output leads, to which connectors of your choice are fitted. I fitted my now standard 4mm gold connectors when I bought the logger year ago.

How much does that extend the battery to ESC lead length?

Advert

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/03/2011 09:10:26:
Sigh.....
Tom - there is no extra connector to accomodate the logger.
Had it not been in circuit, the male connector that failed would simply have been plugged direct to the battery instead of the logger.
Not sure how much plainer I can make things matey . to disconnect it to stop the UBEC draining the battery.
Hi Tim.
Yes i agree that in this case the insertion of the data logger did not contribute to the in flight failure ,but this still leaves two important points to consider,firstly i find it hard to comprehend how a chap with your electronics background and very considerable experience with E/P systems could use a 4mm banana type male plug and expect it to reliably handle 90 amps (2200 watts) i also find it hard to comprehend that a 6 cell lipo was supplied with 4 mm connector .
To be honest such a set up is in my humble opinion is disaster waiting to happen.As for the ubec how could it drain the battery if it was say wired to the outer parts of the of the connectors that plug into the lipo connectors? such a solder joint would be over sleaved with heat shrink and may have maintained power to the ubec even when the conector is getting hot enough to melt solder.

TW2.

Posted by leccyflyer on 24/03/2011 21:34:18:
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/03/2011 21:04:52:
Posted by leccyflyer on 24/03/2011 19:13:59:
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/03/2011 18:10:10:
I may have used LMP, or just my regular big roll of 60/40 - cant honestly remember.
What I can be sure of is that there was no mixing of types - the tinned leads on the ESC were cut back to the correct length of the leads to suit my installation, the bare fresh copper tinned, and then brand new bullets were tinned and soldered on in one stage.
I refuse to use that awful lead free rubbish - and stocked up with a HUGE drum of multicore 60/40 a couple of years back.

Did you add the extra leads for the data logger afterwards, as a second soldering job?

There are no "extra leads" - the logger comes already fitted with a pair of inputleads and output leads, to which connectors of your choice are fitted. I fitted my now standard 4mm gold connectors when I bought the logger year ago.

How much does that extend the battery to ESC lead length?

A couple of inches or so - why? It has no bearing on the topic of the thread.

Im afraid Im getting rather tired of all this now. We can hypothesize about every single piece of equipment, and all the other things that could or should be done or not done etc until the proverbial bovines return to base. I posted the honest results of my investigation as matter of interest to those who chose to have that interest, but IMO its run its course.
If people wish to discuss the whole powertrain, connector, cable, wiring method options, battery V UBEC thing, then please start a new thread.

The model crashed because of a "faulty" solder job on a lead - full stop.

The only reason my initial postings were so long was to show the route I took in establishing that this was, without doubt - the cause. I think the ensuing conversations were useful, and have identified a few things that could be done better etc, but thats it.
Thread closed.