just ordered my first rc plane

JOHN ELLIS 4

Hi All,

I have just ordered my first rc plane, its a Double Horse Super Sonic. It didnt have any bad reviews and I didnt think it was bad for £30.00. I have had a helicopter for ages but the motor burnt out today, so I decided to go for a plane next.

Cant wait for it to arrive.

John

Advert

Hi John,

and welcome to the forum!

Nice model. But as FB3 says do take care. These small electric models look all friendly but they can "bite" just as hard is the bigger ones. And don't forget even a small model can do a lot of damage if it hits someone!

Have you thought about looking for a club? You'd get lots of help to trim and fly your new model in a safe way and in a safe place. You'd also benefit from having insurance just in case the worse did happen. Flying models is great fun - the best there is - but its not quite as easy as it looks!

Check out the BMFA website (you can find it by just googling "BMFA") go to the "clubs" page and you can search for the contact details of clubs in your area!

Have fun - fly safe

BEB

John
Just one point but I understand the Double Horse Super Sonic is a really simple plane with direction control by differential engine power.
As the vids on You Tube show it can fly quite nicely but remember this is not the normal control method for a more conventional RC plane so your next plane might feel quite a bit different.

The only differential control plane I flew had a fundamental problem in that its two motors did not deliver equal power so full control had to be applied just to keep it straight!

Do let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the advise everyone, I sort of wish I come on here before buying a plane as there is loads of threads on good training planes.

I think I should be ok as I have flown my helicopter for ages and not demolished it, I think the plane I ordered will be ok as an introduction but I will be online again looking for something more for begginers and experienced flyers which can also be upgraded.

I would have really liked a plane that could take off from the ground but with this one it looks like a hand launch, but there is no point in running until I learn to walk so I am really looking forward to it to arriving.

I spoke to the secretary of the Barnsley Flying Club, he invited me to a meeting next month so, I think I will go for that, its £52.00 per year to use the site which is locked off from the public.

Again thanks for the advise.

John

just a small point, many r/c clubs dont allow 27mhz, although its a legal channel for aircraft use, its cluttered by things like CB radio etc, it needs to be 35mhz, or 2.4 ghz, anything else is illegal, a lot of clubs will not give instruction on what is seen as a toy plane, can i suggest going down to the field, seeing if they have a club trainer, and asking for a go? a lot of clubs have dual control trainers linked with a buddy box, a good computer simulater can also be purchased, they come with a transmitter, once you have gone these routes, you will see how primitive the model is you are buying, i like your keeness, and dont wish to upset or annoy, but i have seen too many go down the route of these mass produced flying toy models, and fall by the wayside for not doing it properly

There are quite a few cb users on my street (me included), I didnt realise that could interfear with the reception, I will have a word with the club secretary and see if im allowed on the field in Barnsley. Looking at this model I dont think I can change the channel from 27mhz so as I said before I dont think its going to be long before I get back online to get a propper trainer. Got home from work tonight and gutted it hasnt turned up yet, never mind hopefully it will be hear tommorow.

You mentioned legal and illegal channels, can you explain what the illegal channels are and why???

Cheers

all available channels for radio control are legal, but not for all uses,

40mhz, this is for surface vehicles, cars, boats, hovercraft,

27mhz, is legal for both aircraft, and surface vehicles, but 27 is seldom used in the aircraft world

35mhz is for aircraft use only

2.4, the new wonder frequency, is legal for EVERYTHING, well worth reading up on,

there are radio controlled models/toys of every sort coming out of the far east by the container load, a lot of these are on illegal frequencys, this is where it gets interesting, for some of these frequencys are legal in EU countries, so, because we are in the EU, its NOT illegaql to sell them, or buy them, but it IS illegal to use them, minefield, innit? this is why forums are so usefull, come on here, ask opinions of more experianced, then make your desicion,

my plane arrived yesterday, took me around 30 minutes to build it, as long as this wind drops I will be able to fly it tonight, I absolutly cant wait

the only thing im a bit dissapointed with is the connection for the battery to the plane, the wires are so short its a really fiddly job to get the battery connected and disconnected.

I charged the battery and taxied it round the house, did that to make sure I connected the motors properly before I glued the wings down.

Role on 6pm then its flight time.