Clarach Bay

Advert

The only trouble with Clarach is the cliffs (as BEB says).

Is there a club in Aber that could point you to somewhere suitable?

There are sand dunes at Ynyslas a few miles north, but they're no more than 50 feet or so high.  I have soared a 28" Plouf off them a couple of times in the past, but I'd hesitate to try anytihng bigger/heavier.  Not not I know anything about sloping anyway......

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 31/03/2011 18:13:24

Never ever lost one in the drink Terry - and only know of one that ended up wet ( and I fly the Orme a LOT - just returned from 4 hours up there today actually - cracking 50MPH +
What you must realize is that by its very nature, slope soaring winds will always be trying to blow your model back in towards the slope - and you. Providing you are at a decent height ( and even at eye level on a cliff like the Orme ) you are many hundreds of feet above sea level, and as for actually being over the sea, - you rarely are. You THINK you are, but perspective tricks you, and you rarely fly over the actual water...its a lot further away than you think.
In almost every case, if something goes wrong, the model will simply get blown back to the slope, and probably tumble itself along the ground behind you.

Could bugle local clubs in the Clarach area, just picked up a really nice set of plans for a Spiteful, 56'' span,retracts etc, may take a long hard look at modding it for PSS, should have a .40 up front but if I stick about 500w in there it should be OK for what I want, I have had a pair of 500w motors sitting around for three years so maybe I will have a use for one of them.
Anyways, May have a play up at Ynyslas and bungee one or two up to see how they perform, I like the Ynyslas area as it is usually quiet and a nice sandy beach on the Dovey estuary, I could quite happily have moved to Aberdovey instead of the verdamt Maesteg but thats another story.