Jitterbug wing anomaly?

Colin Naylar

Hi Les,

Many thanks for your words of encouragement. I have just left hospital after a serious op so thought this was an ideal opportunity to get balsa bashing. I admit I have been a little hesitant when I came across the anemonies (anomalies) , and have opted for moving F2 back 1/2 inch. I am currently working out how to strengthen the second u/c dowl as I will use that for the front wing fastening.

I will continue to add to the rcgroup thread so feel free to add any comments If you see me meandering off course....

I have gone for these groovy little blue micro servos, not yet decided where to put them yet hope to start the wins next week.

Richard

Hi Richard;
The wheels i have used are about 70mm and look and work fine , my plate undercarriage was from a swap meet and cost one pound. Your local model shop should have something ( i have a plastic one on my acrowot which cost about a fiver.

Regards .....les

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Alan,

I thought I would use the BRC 9HT 2 Kg servos as I thougt that should be enough torque but as I am new to all this will have to see. I don't want to use snakes though as I reckon direct linkages would be best. Hope to use my thunder tiger 46 for the engine as it is pretty meaty.

Have run into a few issues, mostly already mentioned here and the others are just my inexperience.

You might find my build log helpful its mentioned above.

Good luck,

Richard

Hi Alan .
Reference your question about servos, i used futaba 148s all round and find them up to the job. Just make sure you have a servo handy when making the servo mounts in the wing, that way you can recess the servos and be sure to have enough movement without binding the links on the wing. Do make sure to use solid links every where except the throttle link where a snake will be fine.
Most important ...............Have fun
regards ............les

• 2 weeks later...
JITTERBUG DECAL
Playmates, I've just reheated a dead hard disk and found a pdf version of the long lost Jitterbug decal. I think I've emailed everyone who wrote to me directly, but I can't remember who wanted one on this forum. Therefore I have asked David Ashby to put a copy up here as soon as convenient.
Hope this helps,
Alex

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi All, Just need a bit of advice with my Jitterbug build from those that have built this model.  I have constructed the wing halves but not joined them yet. From the RCME article, it says that the dihedral should be 2 inches. Do I assume that this is for each wing tip, or does it mean 1 inch per wing tip i.e. a total of 2 inches, I am not sure. Also any starting point dimensions for the control surface would be much appreciated as I have finished the fuselage. Many thanks

Redex, I have not built the model but looking at the plan the dihedral braces determine the dihedral, which seems to be total 2 inches  ( 1 wing flat on the bench, the other 2 inches up )   If you extend the line of the dihedral brace on the plan it comes out to the 2 inches - the left side of brace is drawn horizontal, while the right if extended comes to 2 inches above.

Anywhere between 1 and 2 inches would be normal for this size aerobatic model, and won't matter if its somewhere around this.     Getting a neat fit into the spars and a strong joint would seem more important than exact dihedral.