Hi all

Rob Lewis

Hi there,

I'm Rob and currently living in 'sunny' Belfast although i'm originally from Swindon.
After a long 10 years i'm getting back into model flying. Used to fly them for around 12 years before getting drawn away by the marvels of full size.

I mainly used to fly fun flys, although had a short venture into gas turbines before being drawn away. To name just a few of the models residing in my dads garage..... A trusty Junior 60 which i learnt on some 22 years ago, a Wot 4, Fracas, Extreme 3D, scale mustang, canard gas turbine (unfortunately in bits bue to epoxy failure), blue foam delta, paper dart polysteryne thingy, and a couple i've most likely forgotten about.

I'm getting my Extreme 3D brought over for me next week so i can get back into flying. Hopefully it'll stay in one piece long enough for me to get the hang of it again. I've brought a set of new batteries for the rx and tx and going to change the fuel tank / tubing and hopefully she'll be airworthy again. Is there anything else i should change / check? Other than a full check over of electrics and joints etc.

Anyhow a lot has changed since the last time i flew so may take me a while to learn it all but looking forward to getting the models back into the air again.

Rob

Advert

Hi Rob, welcome back to the fold and this forum. You will soon get back into the swing of things, It's like riding a bike. This forum is a must for all builders and fliers. The amount of help out there is wonderfull, and we all need help and good advice some time. Cheers FB3

Hi Rob,
Welcome from me too.
This is a great place to lurk around if you want your enthusiasm fired up again or any help with getting back in the saddle.
You'll have spotted there's always something interesting going on from build blogs, handy Q&A's to drop onto and of course as much help as you need on technical stuff.
As Tim says - "Have fun!"
T

Hi Rob,

Ah once bitten by the flying bug there is no escape is there! Anyway, welcome back and I hope you get the Extreme 3D back in fettle soon!

Enjoy yourself on here - loads of friendly folks and lots of advice!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on - I'm sure once you get back in the saddle it'll all come rushing back!

BEB

Fingers crossed it won't take too long. Just like riding a bike hey...

Feels like I've come full circle. Started with the models then got my ppl, then commercial and now I fly for a living but want to get back to the models again. Definitely no escaping once bitten by the bug.

Well picked up the xtreme today, not going to get a chance to work on it until the weekend as away on hols at the mo but should hopefully have it ready to fly by early next week, although away for a few days again so heres hoping for nice weather next weekend.

For an aircraft that hasn't been in the air for over 10 years she doesn't seem too bad, one hinge on the rudder has decided to snap, and the fuel tubings shot but other than that she seems spot on, well apart from the usual wear and tear on the covering. So a few hours work, new hinge, fuel tank and tubing and new batteries with a good charge and she'll be good to go.

Edited By Rob.. on 13/04/2011 23:03:17

• 2 weeks later...
Well, shes had 9 flights so far and i'm pleased to say shes still in one piece. First flight was a bit twitchy even with the rates on but soon enough i fell back into the saddle, the rates came off and she was shooting around the sky.

Just needs a bit of tuning on the engine after i (while half asleep) adjusted the idle mixture needle rather than the control arm....Doh, and all will be well.

Already looking around for a 2nd model to build, thinking a nice .40 to .60 size P51D, always had a soft spot for them. Just need to find a decent kit. Looking for something with precut major parts as i don't have the tools to do major building, but i prefer to build myself rather than the ARTFs.

Rob