Thirsty little toys these edf's aren't they !

john haz

Nothing too exciting, just a little observation after doing a few tests on my recent F-16 foamie.

As per a previous post, it's the Hobbyking F16, about a metre length, flying weight around 700g or so.

I fitted a turnigy 4800kv motor & the original 5 blade fan, 3s 2200 flightmax battery

Checked on the meter & it's showing 360w but not much over 10 volts !!

Flew it a few times anyway & after about 3 mins the esc cuts the power (lack of voltage methinks), shut the throttle, glide ofr a bit, turn it round & land - no big problem but obviously the 2200 / 20c's can't handle it.

So, I decided to make use of some £s/1300's - made up a parallel lead, butchered things around a bit & popped it back on the meter ..

500w of power @ 11+ volts !!!

I know 500 is too much for my little motor, and too much for the 40a ESC but I think with careful throttle management it might be some fun.

post mortem to follow if I get too enthusiastic with it !!

Advert

John
I too have found the 1300/1500 size seem to work well or is it that for some reason they actually get close to their quoted C rating!

'Throttle management' is ok but remember the ESCs rating may be suspect as well.

Its one thing to have a quick overload burst from cold but if you have been flying around at close to full rating for some time and then go overload..........

points noted from you both - thanks

I suppose a bigger esc & higher C rating lipo would help, but this one really is a budget toy & not worth the extra expense.

See my other post, problem cured now (probably not the "correct" way, but it works)