soldered threaded adapter

Advert

Just to get some sort of indication as to exactly how much force the linkages might be subjected to, is it worth considering the loads? In reality, the maximum can only be the flying loads on the controls surfaces surely? I don’t know what these forces are, but I personally think they are relatively light. If we consider that a 3001 servo has a labelled torque of 41.6 oz-in at six volts then this is around the maximum that the linkage would be asked to cope with. This is a straight pull on the soldered joint of 2lbs 9.5ozs. If we then adjusted the movement to 83.2 oz-0.5in then we are looking at 5lb 4ozs. Then multiply the whole lot by a safety factor of 10 and we have a figure of around 52lbs. I’m not convinced that we would ever be able to achieve this in practice, at least with standard sports models anyway, one twentieth, 2.6lb, is probably nearer. So maybe the linkage never has a load greater than a pull of 2.6lb.
I’ve never tried this, but I would believe it’s quite possible that a well made glued joint, wire to solder adaptor, using a good quality 5 minute epoxy such as Devcon, would support a 50lb weight indefinitely. I’m convinced that a well made soldered joint, using standard cored solder, would do exactly that!

Is it possible the greater danger lies in the type of linkage used, and the installation methods, such as in an adjacent thread, Robustness of snakes? Certainly these can result in difficulties with models, on occasions a crash even, which is not good news.

Also from the experiments I’ve done in the dim and distant past, relating to plastic and metal snap-links and their respective keepers, some of these would fail long before the 50lb point is reached. Even the attachment point of the control horn to the flying surface might come under scrutiny. The suitability of the fuel tubing keeper, as a Safety Item, I would consider is also wide open to question, but that’s a whole new box of broken biscuits!

PB