Alfa Beaufighter

Tony Read

I've been having a spot of bother putting my Beaufighter together. Its the way the tailplane fits into the fin. You heve to bend the fin one way and try to slot the tailplane in.

Ok so here goes. Bend the fin, tailpane wont fit. Bend it a little bit more, still wont fit. Bend it ...snap! Doh! Still it fits now!

Anyone else had this problem? Can't help thinking there must be a better way to mount the tailplane.

I will be using brushed motors and gearboxes. Is there any advantage to using a single ESC as opposed to one for each motor ( have enough ESC's of suitable amps to do either option)?

I was thinking of using 3 blade 8x4 props. GWS do counter rotating 8x4. Does this mean you have to buy a non-counter-rotating prop as well, or simply flip it round?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Advert

Well perceived wisdom is yes - you should.
This is nothing to do with brushed versus brushless, but is to simply prevent each BEC unit on the ESCs from "fighting with each other".
Power is then only fed to the rx and servos from the one BEC unit.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 22/04/2011 21:50:33

Thanks again Tim!

I must admit that despite one or two niggles with the model its a fine looking plane and I'm looking forward to flying it soon.

If I were to do another I would probably score a line on the fin to control the position of the crack which will occur when you bend it, and hide that crack below the tail decal.

• 5 weeks later...
Got the motors and gearboxes installed and running but I don't seem to get much thrust. I am using speed 300 7.2v motors with 5:1 gearboxes driving 8x4 GWS 3 blade props (one counter-rotating). The lipo is a 2 cell 1600mah. This is, as far as I can see, is the setup that was used in the MW mag. It certainly is not trying to pull out of my hand when I throttle up. The props seem to be the right way round.

Any ideas please?