Clean Sweep!

Tim Hooper

Advert

Hello Tim,

Truth is that I use cheap hobby King white covering (8.25 $ for 5 m!). I've been using different covering material over the years. This one is more like solarfilm (which is easier to use on curves than Oracover, BTW). It's also lighter. But Oracover is stronger.

So white 'Solar' for the entire surface. Then, with tape I draw the outline of the green areas. I apply a light sanding to unpolish the solarfilm and then paint (I use automotive paint, this one is metalic deep green).

Once the paint is totally dry, the finish is strong. You can still use heat gun (gently) over the painted solar to remove wrinkles, if it appears. Note that I've been using this covering on several models and I found than there are less subject to wrinkles than my ARF covered with Monokote ! (Is it the covering material, the airframe that is style drying ? I wouldn't know...)

Finally, I apply automotive stripe (gold) to finish the model.

Wheel pants and landing gear are painted to match the rest of the aircraft.

Et voilà !

Hi Tim,

You have been fooled by the pics !

These are standard nylon hinges (5 per ailerons). However, I recognize that the bevels are pretty sharp, though, on both side, so the fit is pretty good.

Consequently, there is nearly no gap between wing and aileron.

Note that I've been using harder balsa wood (than the rest of the airframe) in these areas to be able to get these strong sharp bevels ! Arrhhh a few more grams...

Hi Tim.

She is just above 3 lbs (1385 g) wich is not that far from the numbers you got. I guess it's pretty cool because I'm running a 4S battery 2650 mAh.

I may have saved weight with the landing gear which is nylon and fiberglass (wheel pants). I don't have the side cheecks either and the wing is partly sheeted...

We still have too much snow here in Canada, even if the temperature will be around 4 degrees celcius this week end (which is warm !!!), the runway of our local field is covered with 40 cm of snow...

So I still have time for other project before first take-offs of the season !

• 1 month later...

Well, after what seems like forever I have finally finished my CS. It's only the second model I've ever built and hopefully will make a great follow on to my TN Sky 40 trainer. If the weather is OK I hope to maiden it this weekend.....

Here are a couple of pics.

imag0406.jpg

I was trying for a racer type look which I hope suits it

imag0405.jpg

The # 2 is the model memory in my TX (An idea I 'borrowed' from another post I read a while back) but hopefully also looks like a racing number. A bit at least!

imag0399.jpg

I'm quite pleased with it cool

Dave.

Hi there,

Finaly maiden mine. This thing is just so nice. It looks like nothing else than a Clean Sweep ! I'm really suprised by the behavior: she is very gentle. I am pretty happy with the changes I made. The ailerons are so powerfull, if the rudder and elevator would have been larger, my CS would be just as aerobatic than any other lightweight Extras or Edges...

Also, I found no bad tendancies when I slow it down, I can fly near to zero on landing, just like very light loading 3D aircrafts. This really is a nice surprise. My thick symetrical profil is probably be responsible of that !

My 4S setup is too much though. I learnt it the hard way: My motor just left the plane during a 'hard' take off !!! Few repairs are on the plan !! ;-(

I will change for a 3S 3000 mAh, and another motor, It will be more than enough, even for nice aerobatics...

I'm so happy with the CS, I think this is the kind of plane I will leave in my car, just for any occasion, like a trainer but with a bonus: an awesome look !

Thanks Tim for this one. she is trully a winner.

Got to the airfield this morning and there were fairly strong cross winds exactly 90 degrees across the strip. The wind was gusting quite unpredictably too so I decided to fly my Sky 40 and see how things went. After a slightly ropey cross wind landing I was thinking that maybe I should leave the CS to better conditions. Then one of the club instructors Jeff said he'd take it up for me for initial trimming etc. I was really keen to see her airbourne so that sounded ideal.

A minute or 2 later, Jeff throttled up and away she went. From the off she flew brilliantly! no trimming required at all for hands off. In fact, after a couple of quick loops and rolls to check everything was working, Jeff handed me the TX and let me get on with enjoying my hard work smiley.

I am absolutely over the moon with my CS. It is exactly what I was hoping for, A nice step up in speed and agility from my trainer but not scarily so. It loops and rolls with ease (I didn't try for anything more adventurous just yet!) and it just flies like it's on rails. I really couldn't have hoped for more.

I might see about getting someone to film it next time I go flying.

Cheers Tim for such a great model, I think I'm going to enjoy it for a long time.

David.

Sylvain -  I wish I could do coverings like yours! it's a thing of beauty.

Edited By David Molineux on 28/04/2013 15:55:23

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Tim, hallo!

I'm building the CleanSweep from the balsa kit by HobbyStore. Building is very easy up to now (wings and tail-planes), anyhow I've found some little errors, both on the CNC parts as well as in the drawings. Nothing dramatic, but maybe you want to revise them for a future update?

anyhow, great design! Hope to finish soon for the next spring!

francesco

Francesco,

On the original Sweep I used three hinges for the elevator. Mind you, on the new, smaller version I used clear, self-adhesive tape (Sellotape here in the UK) instead.

Either way is good, although the tape hinge is probably more efficient as it completely seals the hinge.

Oh, and done't forget to build in the wash-out beofre you sheet the tops of the wings, OK?

tim