Carbon fibre vs. spruce/balsa spars

Hi All,
I'm wondering whether anyone has done any research into the relative strengths and weights of carbon fibre vs balsa or spruce spars. I tend to build models using spars made up of 1/2 x 1/4" spruce, 1/4 x 1/4" spruce or the same sizes of balsa and I would be interested to know what size of carbon spars would give the same strength as each of those, and how much weight would be saved. I could set about doing some destructive testing with lengths of wood and carbon, a few weights and a bottle of wine, but it could get expensive quite quickly so I thought I would check on here first to see if anyone has already done it.
BW,
Jim.

Advert

we built 4 nats class 1 fuflys using T shaped carbon moldings for spars, wings where ultra light, with slits top and bottom for the T section, used like this, the T section, one upright, one inverted, gave a girder section to the spar, obviously, with maouveres like three rolls, three loops, three touch and goes, and a spot landing---in 19 seconds, the wings take stick, they never flinched, T section was .5mm thick on all thickness dimesnsions, not bad, eh?

3 models where flown, with 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third to their credit