EDF Vampire T11

Advert

Ordered the ARF version this morning funnily enough. Not much point having retracts unless you have a nice smooth expanse of concrete to T/O and land on -(lighter too) so belly landing it will be. Should be a hoot.

• 4 weeks later...
Chocks Away Chums - progress report incoming...

Confined to quarters due to bad weather and coming out on the losing side of a log basket/ice/garden path/force of gravity scenario, I've finally found a little time to dedicate to matters aeromodelling.

The original designers building notes for the fuselage are quite simple - cut out formers, stick between blocks of blue foam, hollow out and carve to shape - simple eh? This caused me a fair bit of head scratching. I kept looking at the two huge chunks of foam and trying to work out just how I could end up with a true and straight Vampire shaped tube.

The light-bulb moment!
Prompted by a comment from fellow forum member 'Piers Bowlan' (who, incidentally, is friend, neighbour and test pilot for this Vampire), I decided to apply some boat-building tactics to the task in hand. Long story short but this is how I did it... Firstly I cut the various formers, the main engine mount/wing spar former from ply, the rest from 1/16" balsa.

I cut two sets of formers and having carefully marked the fuselage centre line and then cut them in half laterally (it's easier to see in the picture than explain in writing).

I then hot-wired the foam into blocks and glued the appropriate former at each end of its appropriate block over the plans. This allowed me to scoop out the inside and shape the outside of each individual block with my hot wire, using the balsa former at each end as a guide. Sorry - I forgot to take pictures of this stage but I hope you're still with me.

The final stage was to glue all the (now shaped) blocks together over the plan, to end up with the top and bottom halves of a fuselage. This all went smoothly enough and I'm pleased to report we now have a straight and true Vampire fuselage!

A noseblock was then cut and shaping and fairing in is now well underway.

I offered up the engine and naturally it didn't fit - I'd forgotten to take the intake lip into account or any exits/entries for the wiring etc. - so quite a bit of additional foam gouging has had to take place on the inside with the result that everything is now fitting together well.

I won't be using foam again - I really didn't enjoy working with this stuff and it suffers dreadfully from hangar rash - can't wait to get it encased in glass/Poly-C...

Still a fair amount to do on the fuselage before I can move on - nosewheel, access hatches etc. etc. but I'm pleased to have conquered a big 'hump' in the build.

RB

That's looking nice! I know what you mean about foam. I have friends who can work magic with it, but I much prefer balsa. I think when I build my Vampire I'm going to stick with strip planking.

• 1 month later...

A quick update for those that are watching...

Finally finished the fuselage and glassed with Poly-C and almost completed the wing mid section now. Doesn't sound to bad when you say it quickly but it took me quite a while to to build the mid section accurately as it is all done 'up in the air' - so I had to contruct a home brewed jig in order to keep everything true.

I made the efflux tube from 0.4mm ply which I also used for the dreaded intake ducts. I approached the latter by first drawing up the shapes on a bit of thin card and - after a bit of trial and error - transferred the final shape to the ply. I then offered these up to the framework which allowed me to mark and cut out the holes in the fuselage side. Each duct was made up of a top and bottom section and I used 5 minute epoxy to hold them in position. I then set about sheeting the top of the centre section. The only thing I'll say about that is getting smooth compound curves in 1/16 balsa is not my idea of fun...

Sorry about the lack of pics but here's a couple of shots of progress so far:

DH Vampire T11

DH Vampire T11

Goblin Whistle
Decided to run up the motive force prior to it getting deeply embedded. Not having any prior experience with these, I was pretty impressed! This thing really screams and I think it's going to sound great in the airframe. The original DH Goblin engines had a unique whistle to them as well - so I'm a happy man.

DH Vampire T11

Next up is a bit of head scratching as I'm working on the cockpit and front nosegear door - both of which I'll have to scratch-build, hmmmm....

Happy Landings,

Robin

• 3 weeks later...

HI Robin

Just came across your postings whilst looking for info on how best to construct wheel wells and gear doors - like the look of your build so far - look forward to seeing more in the future.

Started building a Vampire in January this year, using the same plans as you have and so far have almost, its always almost, completed the fuselage, tail and one wing. Its interesting to see how you have approached building what is quite an early EDF design. My approach has been to build as per plan but to add carbon rod strengthening as required, have installed EFlight retracts which work just fine and will power it with a HET 9305 90mm fan using a Typhoon 600-37-2 motor.

Agree the booms will need some strengthening - have installed a 4mm carbon rod straight down the middle of mine and will be mounting the booms onto a couple of carbon rods through the wing ribs, more work is needed in this area.

Target all up weight is as per original - 5.5 lbs, should make this as fus + fan&motor + tail and booms + retracts + ESC and one bat = 3.5 lbs, we will see.

If your interested I`ll post some pictures.

Regds

Frank

Posted by Frank Newburn on 20/04/2012 15:51:51:

If your interested I`ll post some pictures.

Yes please Frank! Would be very interested to see your build.

Mine is taking a back seat for a few weeks while I'm sorting out the outboard for my boat - something that is proving more time consuming than it should - hey ho...sad

Robin

Edited By RickenBangler on 20/04/2012 16:11:52

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin,

I just came across your build blog whilst looking for something else...interesting as I am starting down a similar route using the same plan.

I previously built a couple of Tony Nijhuis' prop-driven Vampires, I modified them both but one in particular to resemble the T11 because I liked the shape of the fins. The colour scheme is as the one you are building. It shows up well against a blue sky.

I have since started on the EDF model from the same plan as you, though haven't begun the fuselage yet as I haven't worked out the redesign of the nose.

I am not going to use the foam construction method, rather I am going to cut the formers along the centre-line as you have done and build the fulage in two halves on the building board just like the old KeilKraft rubber powered kits. The fuselage will be planked in 1/8" balsa, then joined together rather like an easter egg.

Mine will be powered by a HET fan or something similar, I don't think power will be an issue as the construction will be quite light, although I shall incorporate the strengthening for the booms as you have. The original had to lift quite a few NiCads whereas modern LiPos will be lighter.

Which HK retracts did you buy?

I will continue to watch with interest.

Brian.

@Brian - I like your 'easter-egg' approach. If I was doing this again, I too would have used the more traditional timber planking method. Are you doing the T11 variant or sticking to the single seater on this particular build?

As far as the retracts are concerned I'm using HK jobbies - these for the mains (quite substantial) and this for the nose - could probably do with something a bit beefier but I'm confident it'll only ever gently kiss the tarmac due to my test pilots exceptional flying skills (no pressure there then...)

@Frank - Looking good sir! You'll be finished before me. Your photo's are very interesting to me - keep 'em coming!

Robin

Edited By RickenBangler on 30/04/2012 10:47:10

Hello Robin,

Thank you for the information regarding the retracts, they look a lot easier to use than mechanical or air units. Unfortunately HK are out of stock of the main units at the moment.

I am going to build the T11 variant and possibly the F5 short nose as well. I just need to draw out the T11 fuselage so that I can work out the former shapes etc. at the nose. On your model, is the fuselage as per plan from the cockpit back?

I see that DB Sport and Scale will soon be selling an EDF Vampire kit of similar size, apparently it needs a 90mm unit capable of 3kW to fly so I imagine it must be quite heavy. More information can be found here http://www.dbsportandscale.com/vampire.htm knowing their kits it will be of good quality.

Brian.

Reference the DB Sport and Scale Vampire I have been on the waiting list for 6 months. I hope that it can be built at less than 5kg and over 40oz/sq.ft wing loading. 3000 watts of power would mean at least 10 cells at 80amps - really hard on the lipos. Sometimes these figures are from the fan makers who like to give the maximum the fan will take so maybe the quoted power would not be necessary. If built without retracts a balsa based aircraft like this should be possible at a lighter weight - so less power needed - less weight for the lipos - and so on. It may be possible to reverse the normal more power/more weight downward spiral. I hope so - I don't want a lead sled

Roger

Morning Robin

Hows the boat going - just found to time to get some building done as the weathers poor again and its going on our stand at the Harrogate Model show next week.

Its time to decide which servos to fit - thinking of using HItec mini servos - any thoughts.

Regds

Frank

Had a look at the DB version on their stand at Rougham yesterday, they had one that was half-built. Lots of laser cut parts, fuselage formers are much closer together than the model being discussed in this topic. It is built with pre-shaped packers under each former so that it can be built straight on the building board, the fuselage is planked with balsa strips about 3/8" wide. The wings are fairly conventional I think, with balsa skinning. The tail booms are built up much like the fuselage, formers and longerons then covered in balsa. The wings are permanently fixed to the fuselage but the tail booms (and tail assembly) can be removed by unbolting them from underneath the wings.

Should be available at the end of next month.

Brian.

@RottenRow "On your model, is the fuselage as per plan from the cockpit back?"

Yes! It's really only the section forward of that which was extended to get the T11 shape. I guess one advantage of going the foam route was that it allowed me to get the profile about right and then refine that with a bit of judicious 'sandpaper sculpting'

@Frank "Hows the boat going..."

Oh... don't ask! Not so much the boat - more the 'new' outboard sad. Long story short, we're having to rebuild the whole thing - at least the new cranks, pistons etc. are all in now (which is when the stator/magneto decided to fail) - It's all coming together now though - the end is in sight (I hope) - so I'll finally be able to get back to the Vampire again! Full engine details here and boat rebuild details here if anyone is interested. Hitec Mini's sound good to me - that's what I'm using!

Finally - I'm off on my hols next week - an ATR72-200 and BN Trislander will be involved - any guesses?wink

Robin

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Chaps!

I too have a Vampire under way. During the Winter I purchased a 68mm fan from BRC Hobbies and, using the 3-views for a DH115, with a bit of license, I came up with a 900mm wingspan from Depron with KFm4 airfoil. With a 3S1P 2300 Lipo, AUW was 17oz. Quite a lot of trial and error later I was having terrific fun with a very twitchy little zoomer. Around about the same time that I learnt how to fly her, she became unflyable, the glue coming close to outweighing the Depron. This happens a lot to me.

But this was enough to get me excited and I'm now well on with a scratch build balsa model, WS is 1080mm, the batteries are 4S1P and AUW is likely to be 35oz. The EDF this time is a Lander unit with plastic fan, supposedly capable of 550watts. Of course, that's the input not the output. It'll make a good leaf-blower if it outlasts the plane.

I feel almost like an old friend of Frank J from some of the threads on RCG. How're you doing Frank? I didn't know you were also working on a Vampire.

Cheers

Nick

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 30/07/2012 12:53:23

Hi Nick! Just got around to viewing the thread here again. Your Vampire is looking very nice indeed! When Mike was over here back in May, we went on to the base where they have an intact Vampire stashed away in the corner of one of the hangars. Very handy to have the real one just a stone's throw away, and I can crawl around it and inside it to my heart's content. I am still working on my Bf-109, so have yet to start my Vampire, although I do want to get going on it this winter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can come across to attend BIMBO 2013, and perhaps bring a model with me, a-la Mike. Good luck with the rest of the build, I'll be watching!

Graeme - Back on the case again now. Starting to construct the cockpit as we speak - first attempt ended in failure but 'Plan B' seems to be working out OK. Will try to remember to get some pics of progress. I keep looking at (and weighing) all the U/C gear and thinking hmmmm... maybe a bungee/belly approach would be more realistic - jury's out on that at the moment.

Nick - that looks great - with hindsight I wish I'd have stuck to the balsa I know and love. Your nosewheel treatment is interesting. I had a fight with that and have parked it while I do the cockpit.

Frank - it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one that takes an age to get around to things!

Good to see a steadily growing squadron of Vampires - keep posting chaps.

Pip Pip,

R