Bellanca Skyrocket Build

Patrick Quinn

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

I'm wondering if anybody has built the Bellanca Skyrocket featured in RCM&E back in November 2001 and designed by Alex Whittaker?

I'm thinking of taking a crack at it, but would like to know whether there is any bad news (or, indeed, good news) about the build before I start.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Pat

Advert

The Editor has written to me about this thread and asked me to help.

I am delighted when anyone builds a Bellanca!

The Snack is indeed Knorr Taste Breaks Pasta Funghi. A wonderfully tough and workable plastic. I cut mine neatly with a small circular saw held in the chuck of a pillar drill.

A similar supermarket-sourced fast food pot would do for the dished front cowl, and you could improvise (as I did) the collector ring, or indeed go for dummy cylinder heads.

A balsa one would only take few minutes to sand up in a pillar drill, though it wouild need a bit more preparation to take paint than the plastic one.

Thankfully, I have heard of no bad news about the model - the two Mike and I built to prove the RCME plan fly well and readers have sent me snaps telling theirs fly wll too. Crash Parry's version had a four stroke OS .26, I think.

Remember, it is essentially a trainer lay out, so it is not difficult to build or fly - just keep it light; I tend to build things a bit heavy.

On reflection, I would recommend nothing less than a good a .25.

I keep meaning to scale it up to 84" span.

Hope this helps

Alex Whittaker

Dear Alex,

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to respond. I'm chuffed to bits!

I'm currently collating all the bits and pieces for the Bellanca. It is a very emotive aircraft and it's abundantly clear that you took great pains to get as close to scale as posible.

I'm planning to power it with an OS .25, as you did. Well, why reinvent the wheel?

Just for the record, I flew a large number of older types with my PPL, including an Auster, a Tiger Moth and (illegally) a DC3 and a Short 360. The PPL has now lapsed because I can't get through the medical. But it was terrific fun while it lasted!

Anyway, it's great to hear from you and, if I may, I'll get back to show you the finished job.

Sincerely,

Pat

• 8 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello everyone,

Not very much interest in the Skyrocket!

Jon, how did yours turn out?

I will order the 2001 issue also.

Hope that the plan is still available . . .

I really like the lines of the Skyrocket.

No laser cut set of parts available?

There is also a large version of Eric Fearnley, also beautiful . . .

jan.

Edited By jan brilman on 11/09/2019 11:15:48

• 10 months later...

Hi everybody,

The Skyrocket is still on my mind.

Would appreciate it very much if someone is willing to send me the plan and construction article.

Generous payment, of course.

Is Alex still around?

There was rumour about him scaling up the plan! smiley

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

jan.