World Models Tucano 60 - Leccy or 91 4st?

The kit says 91 4st, but I have the motor and batteries from my ill fated leccy Sea Fury (the Iraqi one) sitting in my garage.

An ic engine will sound odd in a turbo prop, but equally the Sea Fury was a bit dissappointing....

What to do....

Edited By Shaun Chant on 21/06/2011 17:01:06

Advert

That motor will be pulling a lot of amps on 4S. I'm just putting the EMAX equivalent in a Decathlon and I've gone to 5S, with 2 x 3S in series if I need 6S, depending on testing the combo.

If you have to go higher than 4S, will there be much weight advantage with Li-Po's? - and you'll have to buy them as well, of course......

Pete

Hi Shaun, glad to see "you're back" - well done fella
TBH Im not using A123s much these days, as Lipos have got so much better with fast charge capability and high C rate performance. I made a similar setup in my PC9, with a motor which was a tad high on Kv ( but I had it spare ) and use 6s lipo at higher current than I would normally like ( 2kW+ 90A ) but have to say it flies very well. Of course, the other factor is that more volts means higher revs and smaller props than perhaps is ideal.
What power figures were you getting with the "old gear" ?

I have the Tucano with an OS 110 fs in it and it flies nice, I previously had a 90fs which was more than enough, but the engine broke, so was replaced.
The 110 alpha is very low noice so does not sound out of place, and it swings a 16x10 prop for loads of pulling power in the vertical.
Another flier at our field has an electric version running 6s Lipo's and it flies very fast . I think he may have inreased the cells since I last saw him.

Both versions fly nice, but for me the electric is much to quite for this a/c.

Darryl

Thanks guys. Not really back as such Tim, but can't sit around moping anymore. I have to do something or risk slipping into deeper despair.

I will try and run the motor today using the A123s, but I am increasingly drawn back to LiPos and wondered if 4S is man enough or should I use 6S? This aeroplane is a turbo prop in real life and should have a fair lick of speed.

Of course as Pete pointed out, 6S = more weight.

Djay, I listened to several flying on Youtube, and whilst I like glow 4st, they sound rubish compared to the whine of the leccys (never thought I'd say that). This is a turbo prop after all, and I'd really like to recreate the prop sound of a turbo prop.

Hi Shaun, good to see you.

I'd do leccy here just for the sound aspect as you say. Have you seen my Turbo Raven? Same applies me thinks.

What's the AUW? I've got the Raven on 6S/950 watts at AUW 8lbs. Wing loading is 32oz but she's fine with a little care.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 23/06/2011 13:17:25

Hi shaun.
the limiting factor on power set up size will be the prop size.
I run a 16 x 10 prop and it only just clears the ground, on landing when the nose leg flexies the prop can touch, the plane has a very low u/c.

godd luck, it flies a treat.

I'd second that - just had experience of my first E-Flite motor and I was very impressed.
On a 6s you'd still need to be at the larger end of the prop scale... but if 16" is a tad too close to the ground, then consider a 15" with high pitch - this I think would suit that model perfectly and allow the revs to get up a bit and the sound would be "better".
If money IS a problem, then other motors of the 400 - 600 Kv range are around.
THIS for example would work well on a 14" x 8" and 6s.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 24/06/2011 12:19:47