Just Starting

Anthony Billings

Hi all,
just joined this forum as I am starting out with r/c aeroplanes, I normally fly helicopters. I have ordered a Super Cub LP as my first trainer and in a lot of the reviews and postings on other forums they recommend changing to larger wheels to make take offs and landings on grass much easier, but what size wheels to change to ??? any recommends ?
Tony

Advert

its only a small cub, so you would have to watch the weight, plastic hubbed 2" diameter should be ok, but its not that easy, even with this size cub, you need things like aileron differential, and rates, i never suggest a cub as a first aircraft, too much glass in there, it takes away the strength of the cabane section, and the long wings, and short fueslage can give things like aileron reversal, where the down going aileron creates more drag, than lift deflection, and the wing will stall, i dont want to frighten you, but it just aint as simpole as the modelzone boys tell you!!! still, by far the best way to learn, is to get advice first, join a club, and get insurance
have fun

Hi Tony, I definately agree with the above. It's not so easy as some of the sales people would have you believe. Please join a club, take advice from the lads, and get insured

Re wheels, bigger ones cope better with grass, 2" should be fine

ernie

Hi guy's,
thanks for the replies, first off, I am a member of the BMFA so have my insurance, secondly the Horizon Hobby Super Cub does not have aileron's, it's only a 3 ch. I chose this model not on any sales pitch, but after trawling through a lot of web sites and reading loads of reviews.
It appears that upgrading to 2" dia wheels is the way to go so that is what I will try.
I will be joining a club at some stage, the club I am thining of here in Cornwall have a number of flyng sites but I also wanted a small park flyer for when I could grab the last hour of the day when the wind has dropped without having to make the hour's drive down to the flying site.
Thanks for your replies and I will keep you all posted as to how I get on.

Tony

Hi Anthony. I have just started flying learning to fly planes, and have a V Trainer from Flyingwings. Cant praise it enough. Im teaching myself,also im from a heli background.
I have got the aileron trainer and am already flying circuits,figure eights and landing well.
It is a rally tough little trainer,has taken a few hard bumps and shrugged them off.
I have also got a couple of second hand nitro trainers,a Thunder tiger,and a Irvine trainer and feeling nearly ready to have a go flying them.
Good luck anyway,im really enjoying planes and wish i had started years ago.