Lipo dead cell - what to do?

Hi, I need some advice please.

I have a 2500mah 6s lipo for use in my starter. One of the cells seems to have died. It only reads 1.64v whilst all the others are at 4.2v.

What should I do?

Can I remove the dead cell and use the pack as a 5s? if so how do you remove a cell?

I'm guessing but would be pleased to hear differently that with a cell down to 1.64v it's a gonna?

Can I continue to use the pack as is and ignore the dead cell and use it at the lower voltage?

I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff, all my flight batteries are NiMh as I fly IC.

Any help much appreciated

Clive

Advert

Hmm.

1) You could but its not for beginners TBH - short out a wire or link etc - and POOF!
2) Almost certainly a gonna - sorry
3) NO
4) Thats why I hesitate to recommend you go fiddling with it.

Im surprised that your starter is happy on a 6s pack.... I guess its a high torque 24V jobby?

Thanks for the response Tim. Yes, the starter is a 24v Sullivan. I got fed up with the smaller ones I have stalling on the larger petrols.

Bit of a bummer having to ditch £90 worth of battery. I know some people at my club who do this stuff in their sleep so I might ask one of them if they will have a go at removing the cell for me. I'm sure they will if I tell them there's a pint in it for them.

Clive

Personally I have taken packs apart when a cell has gone down, but I WOULD NOT recommend you have a go if you're not confident what you're doing...

The cells are usually taped together and the foil, the cells are made of, will be close to tearing if you just pull them... I've not torm one, but I suspect the innerds won't do your skin any good..
You'll have to make sure that ALL wires are isolated and then re-connect them in series and remake the balance lead as a 5s, otherwise your balancer / auto-sensing charger may have issues....

Before having a go, search you tube for EXPLODING LIPO'S.... Just to put it in perspective... !!

Luv
Chrisie... xx

Hi I have the same problem, I've seperated the cells and resoldered but no-one seems to sell balancer plugs to replace the four cell with a three. Another quick query if I may, I'm newish to electric flying but not too bad on electrical things generally, but why do the packs have an extra red (live) wire to the number of cells when two are coupled together giving 4 lives and a neutral on a 3s pack plug.

John

Balance plugs on flying leads are available from Ebay.
A 3 cell pack will have 4 wires - ignore the colours everyone uses different designatiuons, but basically looking at the plug top, from r to l, we have....
1 - Negative.
2 - positive of cell one
3 - positive of cell two
4 - positive of cell three

1 and 4 are also connected to the main output leads.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 01/07/2011 10:07:45

If Tim is still watching this thread, what you have drawn is true for jst-xh balance plugs.

Just checked my Flightpower 4s plug and I have a negative on pin 1 positives on pins 2 -5 and a positive on pin 6 which is connected at the cell with the wire from pin 5 and the main power positive wire. this is what confused me as checking my 3s Flightpower I don't have that extra wire.

I tried to draw it out to paste but it didn't work, i hope this makes some sort of sense.

John