Chinese takeaway scale gliders - any good?

Advert

Matthew, I had, untill recently a CMP discuss which gave me 2yrs of fun off the slope. Just the basic one with extra glassing around the nose area and mixed in flaperons approx 10mm up for landing. First to go /crack will be the tail area as on most gliders even full size! Used thin cyno to repair then eventually glassed it though this adds weight. Not a 'floater' but still fun and for under £100. Have a FlyFly Salto now which is more sporty. Its a big jump in price If you go fully composite!

Hi Matthew,

Mine had a crash & so of course has suffered but not to destruction and not as badly as I had expected it turn out, so I'm not too concerned about the integrity of the airframe. Those long wings are going to be tempting to ground in anything but a level landing and I would expext anything but the gentlest touch on the wing tips to put a lot of strain on the wing root.

I expect to get mine sorted "sometime this year" but the big issue for me which I will have resolve is it's desire to roll over and die! My fault or the DG? We will see

Anyway I hope the above is useful.

Ian

Hi, >>

I have purchased two Chinese gliders from R2Hobbies.com. One was their 3M Gliderman and the other was the 2M Advanced Thermo sailplane. The prices were about $250 US and $100 US for them delivered.>>

The 3M wing was very well made and the covering was certainly a 9+ although it was a bit on the heavy side @600g / 1/2. The fuse was glass, beautiful finish and the tail was impressive. There was a small problem with the CG. The fuse was 60" plus from the noseblock to the end of the tail and the wing was mounted a bit forward of my expectation. About 400g (yes, 13+oz) of lead in the nose got the CG at 35% of the chord along with a stout motor and a 3S lipo. If you’re thinking that this is a bit wonky, keep in mind that I am beginner and I didn’t know that this could be a disaster. Now I am much more experienced and am very sure that my suggestion "HARRY MOVE IT!!" was well founded. The wings are really nice and as soon as I remove a foot of fuse I'll have another go. I think it has possibilities.>>

The 2M was not nearly as exciting (that's not really true) because there were only four people that had to run. The 3M scattered at least 8 former friends. Being new I try to read as much about my new hobby as I can and I read that dihedral is a good thing for an RE bird. However, the 2M didn't have but an inch or so and I assumed that the builder knew what he was doing. The wing covering job was again a 9+ and the fuse was a bit wide but about the right length. The tail feathers were a bit heavy, but the CG got to 35% with a reasonable (100g) weight and all seemed in order.>>

Off to the field -- it flew with the motor nicely -- However, when I turned off the motor, I quickly began to understand the wisdom of dihedral. It flat would not respond to my wishes, but since there weren’t enough folks for a club quorum, I will probably survive as a member.>>

The workmanship of both of those birds was truly outstanding, but I think they lack some of the design skills that would make them a force to be reckoned with. I will get both of these in the air and flying reasonably well, and then get a beginner and give them a sailplane to learn on. >>

> >

Just for information I own 2 of the Fly Fly DG1000 1 Fly Fly ASW28 and the Fly Fly Salto.
the layup of the fuse is quite good ,however the fuse join is not taped its just cabosil,and needs a layer of glass carbon or kevlar in the nose and as far aft to the wing rootalong the belly pan as you can get, the whole range are only meant for slope,many have tried to electrify them and thermal ,forget it quick up quick down on the flat . They all fly fast and land fast .I've had them and flown them hard since 2008 ,out of all of them the ASW28 is my favourite it fly's on rails . They are great bang for the buck IMHO

• 2 weeks later...
I have a windrider Habicht that I bought a few months ago, just started the fit out as the school holidays have started, will hopefully maiden it soon. All seems well with the construction and the Fuz seems strong enough, mind you the girth of its tail is quite large compared to modern gliders which tend to be skinny at the rear end and also vulnerable (even full scale) I was very happy with the service just a tad over 100 quid delevered and it came about 10 days after I hit the buy it button.