Second trainer, what to get

Martin Whybrow

I'm getting on well with my Uno Wot, have done my first ROGs and landings today. One of the club instructors has recommended I get another plane ready for when the inevitable happens, so I'm looking for ideas.
I am happy building from a kit, and I feel that for a trainer, a kit is better so I know how to rebuild it again if I re-kit it. I like the Uno Wot, but find it's a bit light and gets blown about in gusty conditions; in fact it's so light, it was thermaling strongly today and I struggled to lose height! So I guess I'm looking for something that's a good trainer but a little heavier that the Uno Wot (the Wot is about 2Kg and 62" span). I'm an infernal combustion man at heart, so not particularly looking for a 'leccy job.
Suggestions please.

Advert

your ready for a wot 4, or an acrowot, the 4 can be flown in high winds, fitted with an irvine 53, mounted at 45 degrees with the exhaust exiting between the undercart wiring,

if you can put the unowot anywhere you can on the field, take it off straight, and do a few simple manouveres, then get the acrowot, its a good first lowwinger,

Good suggestions from Alan - personally I'd tend towards the WOT4 rather than the AcroWot - but it really is a personal preferance thing, they're both good models and will handle the wind well. I also agree that the Irvine 53 is the perfect partner.

Howver, if you're looking for alternatives how about something like a Mick reeves Gangster which is is always good fun for the investment and does aeros well.

If you fancy something a bit more "scale" how about a aerobatic bipe? They are not so hard to fly and there are some good plans if you are happy building. Something like a Jungmeister or a Pitts might keep you entertained! Although both are a substantial build so you probably wouldn't have them soon - and they would be more of a challenge to fly than the WOT4 say. But with moderate throws and biult light they are within a competant pilot's scope.

Plenty to choose from, I'm sure others will ahve further suggestions.

BEB

You didn't mention either a budget or the size engine you have.
If you want to start from scratch I'd recommend either the wot 4 ARTF or the Mk 3 kit. Buy the kit without the fibreglass bits as it's significantly cheaper and the wire u/c absorbs more knocks than the fibre glass one.
With regard to the engine a saito 82b with a 14x6 prop will give you a helluva power to weight ratio and, as it's lighter than a bb 46 with silencer it'll fly better. The engine is more economical than a 2 stroke and a 6 ounce tank goes a long way, it also is 4 ounces lighter than a ten ounce one when full.
I wouldn't progress to the acrowot just yet, that is one sleek ship and landings need to start much further out than with a wot4.
If you already have a 46 sized engine then that'll be ideal for a wot4 as well.
An alternative will be the 46 sized stick model that both vmar and great planes supply will serve you well too. The 82b will overpower that too.

I will certainly endorse the suggestion of the WOT 4. They fly well in all their manifestations: kit built, ARTF, foamie electric, even double-sized. If I could only have one model it would be the WOT 4.

However, if you fancy something different you might consider a Fun Fly from SLEC.

Others like the "Air" series of ARTFs , Super Air, Travel Air, and Speed Air but they are a little slippery and not particularly robust in my view.

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 03/07/2011 06:56:12

several good suggestions. what do you want to do? ARTF, or build a kit? i reckon its the latter, i have mentioned the Wot series, but the cost of them is MENTAL, now, on thinking, its back to the good old DBmodels ,    skyrider     all built up, simple, pleasurable build, short kit is available from DB SPORT& SCALE, designed by the ABSOLUTE best in the business, D Boddington, if cost is not an option, then the Wot is still at the top of the list,

Edited By Alan 4 on 03/07/2011 08:15:46

Edited By Alan 4 on 03/07/2011 08:16:51

Good suggestions, I went for a black horse speed air for £60. As I wanted something I could throw about and not be mortified if I crashed it. Also it has great handling and a lot of bang for your buck. Mine had a TT46 pro in it, and that gave it very near vertical performance.

'Great Planes Stik' .40 or .60 size...... FUN
Phil

Thanks everyone. I am looking for a kit, not an ARTF, partly because I enjoy building, but also because I know how it goes together should it become less than airworthy at some time
Decided to go for a Wot 4 MK3; looked at a couple at our club at the weekend and liked them, also saw a couple of Stiks and wasn't so keen on those.
Decided the Irvine 53 would be a good choice; slight problem though, none in stock anywhere I could find and Ripmax aren't saying when they'll have more I have one on back order but not holding out much hope of seeing it; bid on a couple on the 'bay but they went to silly money (for a 2nd hand engine) so didn't win. Any suggestions for a source (new or almost new) or a good reliable alternative?

Don't know if they are available in the UK but the Goldberg Tiger series 40 size or 60 size are really good second models low wingers that can be either trike or taildragger, they are now under the umbrella of Great Planes, good easy build kits or ARF if you prefer, lot of fellow club members use them to keep their thumb's up to scratch in the off season.

A good ballraced 46 will fly a WOT 4 very well.

Some people fit 61s.....

While a WOT 4 would be my first choice as a second model, and all of the others mentioned above will be fine, I'm told that the 4 Star 40 or 4 Star 60 fly well if you fancy a build.