Sloping Off

Advert

Im sorry Ian, but I just dont like it.
Its simply far too neat and good looking to go throwing off a big hill

PS when you gonna change that awful avatar picture - I just KNOW there are far better pictures of you /and your models
If you dont change it soon, Im gonna have to go fiddling in the works, and do it myself!

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 14/08/2011 22:58:21

I was thinking of coming up norff and flying my WT off the Orme at the bank holiday weekend, but if I do, Ian and I wont be able to fly at the same time as we may end up watching each others models and thinking, "I don't remember making it do that"!

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 14/08/2011 22:56:18:
Im sorry Ian, but I just dont like it.
Its simply far too neat and good looking to go throwing off a big hill

PS when you gonna change that awful avatar picture - I just KNOW there are far better pictures of you /and your models
If you dont change it soon, Im gonna have to go fiddling in the works, and do it myself!

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 14/08/2011 22:58:21

The camera often lies, it's got lumpy bumpy corners everywhere so I don't think I will be winning any prizes for neatness when it's seen in the flesh. You might even like it when you see it .

The avatar - oh LOL, you are right, it's served it's (Webbit) purpose. Watch that space .

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 14/08/2011 23:24:21:
I was thinking of coming up norff and flying my WT off the Orme at the bank holiday weekend, but if I do, Ian and I wont be able to fly at the same time as we may end up watching each others models and thinking, "I don't remember making it do that"!

Oh go on Steve, it'll be a larff .

They should look a bit different, the right way up that is ! Mine is going to have stripes straight from the LE to TE on top but underneath it will be just like yours. That should be fun .

Tim. I'm booked into Tan Y Bryn Farm camp site, Llandudno. Acordinhg to the blurb it has breathtaking views of the Great Orme. Arriving Friday 26th, hopefully midday, put up the tent and then a quick sortie on The Orme I guess. Due to leave on the Sunday but depending on the weather and how many serviceable planes I have left, I could stay the Sunday and travel home on the Monday. £10 per night camping, not bad I think

Right here we go, it's all downhill now .

I said I'd be looking at how I'm going to secure the hatch and my wiring module, first here's a problem:
The velcro is so thick that it will not allow the hatch to close properly.

I fiddled with magnets but didn't find that idea very satisfactory so in the end:
I cut a recess for the hook side of the velcro which did the job nicely.

The module containing the wiring and switches is a tight fit but all the same I wanted some more security. When the module is fitted I'll secure these straps with velcro:

The Rx is going to go here:

So having decided on the best place for Rx I have to find somwhere for the antennas:

On the JP-Si I left the antennas on top of the wing (suitabley secured) but I thought they looked abit untidy so I didn't want to do that again.

I thought that a drill and some old snake outer could be the answer and so did some tests:

Which worked find exceot the drill wasn't long enough, so I had to use something more savage to get the full depth:

Oh, my dinner is ready . I'll be back to finish off shortly

Anyway back to the Fusion and the fitting of the antennas

With the antenna still on the outside of the fuselage it was quite easy to ensure the hole was at the right angle:

Shallow cuts in the EPP helped route the antenna leads and keeps them out of the way when the wing is fitted:

Next, test fitting the wing and check for free movement of the surfaces & rods revealed a slight problem:

A little hacking at the fuselage fixed the that problem:

Time to go ahead and fix the wing on then. Double sided tape makes the initial attachment.

Cw Tape is used to secure the wing underneath and on top. I used a ruler to get right into the corner where the fuselage and wing meet:

I couldn't make sense of para 21 in the instructions so I consulted Tim Mackey, he said just do it, it'll be alright, so I did and it is:

Next, kit out the RC gear . The battery is out of sight in the nose, the Rx is held by velcro and the Rx wires are connected:

Next the module, which is just a tight push fit, goes in:

More velcro!, This time on the module straps to ensure that in the event of a bump or the hatch coming open that everything still stays inside:

Last part to be fited now - the fin . The fin supports are strengthened with Cw Tape and double sided tape is applied to the contact areas:

The fin looks about right. It just has to have some Cw tape added to the sides to help secure it to the wing:

Wow, it's really beginning to take shape now. So with everything attached it's time to get busy with some contrasting colours. Erm, colours? Yes as long as it's... but then you probably knew that:
The markings are intended for one purpose only - visibility so they are simple but clear.

Just to be a little bit different from Steve Houghton's WT top wing, I've gone for a single arrow head underneath:

Going outside to take some photos was also an opportunity to get the range check done - no problems there.

I've also setup the CG, just 10 grammes into the nose.

'eck, she's ready to fly

Just out of interest sake and probably information why not just use a Jack plug switch rather than nee to access your standard switch ? so much cleaner and no extra tapey bits to fall off or suffer UV destruction over a few months in the sun ?

easy to make but make sure you use a dc jack not an audio jack

Edited By stephen wenban on 15/08/2011 20:52:37

Ian

I haven't bothered trying to secure the access hatch on my WT and haven't had a problem with it opening at all, and I made a hole in the side of the fus, under the wing for the on/off switch, another arrangement which has worked well without problems.

Hoping you'll be at the Orme over the bank holiday, it would be good to get both our birds up at the same time.

Btw, why didn't you just feed the antenna through the channel used for the servo cables and let it trail inside the fus towards the rear?

A switch jack is a much cleaner install in foam than a slide switch and less prone to failure. You do not need a hatch to access the switch and you can charge directly through the switch jack, pull the plug out your on and ready to go ,put the plug in and the system is shut off. You cant accidentally bump the switch off like you can on a normal external mounted switch . They are the perfect switch for foamies

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 15/08/2011 23:02:31