Sloping Off

Advert

Just had a great day out at the Great Orme and I'll prepare some more photo's soon but most relevant to this thread is that the wind was not as strong as on my last visit and I thought I'd work on my launching technique . Of course I followed the advice of my mentor which was to hold the fusion at the front of the nose and feel for how it was weather cocking to line it up straight into the wind.
Then rather then trying to give it a sudden sharp lurch I held the fusion back behind me and made long hard level push forwards and let go. Alright so it nosed up a bit but I levelled it out and flew out towards the briney - Success

I'm pleased to add that I lost count of the number of successful launches I did myself afterwards and that my technique will only improve. In a stronger wind I may still need some help or have to use a ramp/footswitch as suggest by Conway Soarer but we will see, I don't give up easily. Added to that I even made some decent landings in the LZ.

Posted by Lee Morgan on 04/07/2011 22:40:10:
That Tim is a little dodgy mate watch him he'll take your head off

Lee

I thought you were joking Lee . Good job I ducked yesterday, or was it a "victim" falling out of the sky? I forget but I'm sure Tim was involved in some way .

Actualy Tim someone went one better & actually got me from behind .

It wasn't intentional though, just a late landing (I think) that nudged up to my leg .

If anyone wants to see some photographs from the day I've posted some in the Joy of Slope thread but if you would like a quick look at many of the aeroplanes that were there then you can have a look at this photosynth Great Orme 28/01/2011 Aircraft.

No doubt Steve Houghton will posting some video in the same thread soon and I suspect that will be rather good.

Posted by stephen wenban on 06/07/2011 22:06:51:
Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 06/07/2011 13:36:40:
When foam models first came out, Silicone was recommended for gluing and for fixing servos. Does that still work with modern foams?
Tony the only thing I use silicone for is hinging.
I use the gorilla glue wrap the servo in cling wrap and stuff it into the servo well and put some weight on it to hold it during the foam up. Once dry you cut the excess foam remove the servo and clean up with a sharp knife your newly and perfectly shaped to the servo potted servo well . Then you only need Fibre tape over the top to hold it in , it also makes for easy maintenance of the servo ,because you can just cut the tape and slide the servo out of its cosy bed

OOps, I didn't do that, should have remembered this post when I came to do it. Seems like a good idea and I'll bear it in mind for future use - thanks Stephen.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 14/08/2011 23:24:21:
I was thinking of coming up norff and flying my WT off the Orme at the bank holiday weekend, but if I do, Ian and I wont be able to fly at the same time as we may end up watching each others models and thinking, "I don't remember making it do that"!

Hah, that turned out to be quite prophetic didn't it . I don't know whose plane you were flying last Sunday Steve, was it mine? Don't suppose you know, anyway I'm glad you got yours back.

Posted by paul (dig-it-up) on 30/08/2011 18:14:07:
great time had on sunday meeting new faces like stee/ ian /and marty the mad one lol. we must do it again some time.great pics by the way paul

Yeah, good to meet you too Paul - it won't be until late September at earliest that I get to the Orme again but I'm really looking foward to it - have a few "scores" to settle .

Time to reflect

This thread started as “Sloping Off - A blow by blow account of my introduction to soaring.” Well I’ve been “introduced” alright . Introduced to EPP flying wings, soaring, combat and lots of very decent chaps. It’s been a mostly very enjoyable and encouraging experience but I said this would be a blow by blow account and so it turned out to be in more ways than one. Undeterred I pushed on and now find much of the time I’m occupied with thoughts about the Joy of Slope and how I might go Sloping Off for a fly somewhere. Every hill, slope, wind and aeroplane has new dimensions that not so long ago I thought only occupied some other people that chuck models off a hill for flying on the cheap and it was not something for me. It’s all changed in just a couple of months.

To list everybody that has in some way supported me in my quest would be impossible because I can’t remember everyone’s name but I must mention that I am very appreciative of every one of you.

I think a few notable happenings along the way are worth a mention, like the side by side build of JP-Si’s with Dorset Flyer and then the anxious wait to see if he would maiden his first or I mine. The continuous urging on and mentoring from Tim Mackey has been invaluable as has the friendliness and banter of all those I have met at the “Big Rock”. The ultimate experience so far must be the excellent day of fun on August Bank Holiday Sunday; I think it’s fair to say that many of us will remember that day for a very long time to come.

Hold on though, I’ve only been sloping three times and here I am making out like I’ve got it all sorted . No, no, that’s not it at all. Hook, line & sinkered then? Oh yes . So that means the introduction is over and now it’s time to soar to new heights (groan).

Yipeeeeeeeeee.

The future

Well I need to find a local slope to practice on so that I can visit the likes of the “Big Rock” with a little more experience behind me. I’ve been looking at “The Cloud” aka “Bosley Cloud”. Well it’s near enough but I tell you it’s no place for the faint hearted. It looks to me like landing out will very likely involve a tree somewhere hundreds of feet below and though the LZ’s may be heather it seems that at times they may very well be a range large lumpy rocks. I’m not chucking anything off there until I’ve watched a few others do it first!

I’m looking forward to the PSSA Fly In October, though it’s looking like I will not have a scale aeroplane ready in time. In the last year or so I’ve flown at a number of unfamiliar sites and I’m really finding that quite enjoyable so looking further ahead into next year I have it in mind to attend various fly ins and I have to say the Llyn Peninsula really appeals considerably. Joining up with the PSSA seems very attractive and I have a number of aircraft options in mind for that. I’m very seriously considering doing a quick build of a Tony Nijhuis fun fighter for sloping as a sort of scale(ish) job, tucked away somewhere in the hangar is a Tucano and also a DG1000 glider is just begging for a turn. So there are many options already and more will spring up, I want to do them all right now

Ah, ran out of space, just a littel more....

Since that’s just not possible and they will all have to take their turn then my sloping future is going to be a very busy one.

If anyone is thinking of giving it a try, don't hold back, resistance is futile as many of us have found out, get stuck in and enjoy it.

I think that just about wraps up this thread so I'm off to join the big boys over at "The Joy of Slope".

Edited By Ian Jones on 03/09/2011 01:17:03

SNIP:

Undeterred I pushed on and now find much of the time I’m occupied with thoughts about the Joy of Slope and how I might go Sloping Off for a fly somewhere. Every hill, slope, wind and aeroplane has new dimensions that not so long ago I thought only occupied some other people that chuck models off a hill for flying on the cheap and it was not something for me. It’s all changed in just a couple of months.

Ah, now that sounds very very familiar Ian
To respond in a small way to your excellent piece, I would say that you have been an excellent "student" who listens to advice, and builds a very very nice model too!
Overcoming the setbacks you experienced in the very beginning showed great determination, and you were justly rewarded.
Welcome aboard the slope club, and look forward to flying with you real soon

It was fun to see who got there first hey Ian! but i have to say that what with your Zagi loss and the mobility challenges, i take my hat off to you mate! i am sure that you will progress very quickly through the combat ranks to officially call Tim your um.... lady like slave

Only shame is we are not in the same neck of the woods as i am sure it would be a great laugh to slope with you mate, take care in your upwind shinanagins (however you spell it) and i look forward to reading about your future experiences

• 2 weeks later...